Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who runs an edelbrock carbs??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mattman4x4, Jun 26, 2006.

1. mattman4x4

mattman4x4 1/2 ton status

Hi all,
    I am replacing my dead Qjet with an edelbrock carb(600CFM 1400) on my 5.7L. Is anybody else running aftermarket carbs? What has been your experience with aftermarket carb good and bad. What performance diffrences did if any did you changed over. Also how hard was the swap?

Thanks!
    Mattman4x4

2. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

Im running the same carb, i changed my intake too b/c i told my dad they dont make an adapter plate. (stock qjet is spread bore, edel is square) I noticed an increase in power. The idle felt better and it doesnt stall when first started as much

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i would get the spring loaded needle and seats. mine would stall out in bouncy stuff. then those fixed it.

4. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I use the 1406 and it's done pretty good for me. Took a lot of messing around with it to get it right for wheelin and this altitude but it works decent even at a little angle like this...
    [​IMG]
    I know, whate a picture whore..... :rolleyes:

5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have seen a couple performer carbs out on rigs and I have myself never been impressed but it might have been tuning issues. They would flood out eary and hardly run at angles. On the other hand I love my edelbrock q-jet

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

My edelbrock 1406 (600 cfm, electric choke) never let me down. Worked good on the trails too. But I converted to TBI for better adaptation to elevation change since I almost exclusively wheel the mountains...

Carb is for sale too...http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159903

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Good "street" carbs!..

I have a 1405 Edelbrock Performer on my 79 C10 with a 305...it gets decent gas mileage(about 15 mpg if I drive like grandpa)..and it runs smooth and starts on the first turn every time,unlike the Q-Jet I took off--it was an "electric" Q-jet,the motor is an 86,and I didn't have the "black box" that runs the Q-jet,so I used the Edelbrock instead..

There will be several issues if swapping it onto a stock Q-jet intake..you'll need an adapter (20 bucks at most parts stores) to adapt the square bore E-brock to the GM spread bore manifold..make sure the adapter is intalled correctly,the base gaskets seal all the way around on both the carb,and the adapter to manifold--I see lots of them installed wrong and have huge vacuum leaks!..

You'll most likely have to diddle with the throttle cable linkage,and the tranny detent cable(and if its a 700R4 tranny,the TV cable--be SURE that gets adjusted right,or you'll be putting a tranny in two days later!)--you may have to buy a different throttle and detent cable bracket...on my 305 I had to remove and block off the EGR valve,it was right in the way of the carb..

They are not that great off road,in my experience--I guess adding the spring loaded needle valves helps some--I haven't ever tried to,since mine is used on a street driven 2wd truck...I like the performance and mileage on the street though...:crazy: