Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who runs Boggers on their daily driver?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73K5Kid, Dec 1, 2004.

1. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Our running boggers on a daily drive that bad? I have read that they wear quick and do not handle good on the road. But I have seen lately in AZ a lot of quys running boggers on k5s and trucks. Would the ride suck in traffic? It will be mostly freeway driving about 30 miles each way. After seeing Rifguitar and his k5 with boggers makes me want them more. Rif can you respond to my question please? And who ever else feels the need /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Right now I have MT Baja claw bias 35's and the ride is not that bad on the freeway. Can someone tell me if the ride is the same or worse. Thanks

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am guessing you want boggers because they look good. I can't blame you and probably the main reason why I bought mine, they are a crazy looking tire. Don't worry, I won't give you any crap for wanting to look good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

They are quiet and smooth when they are new with very low mileage. When I went 3/4 ton and put my new welds and boggers on I thought they rode better than my previous SSR's. That was short lived.......

Boggers wear different than any other D.O.T tire. The smaller lug wears faster than the larger one giving it a ride like a rice and cane directional tire (extremely aggressive tractor tire) What they do is as the small lug wears down past the large lug it won't touch the ground at slow speeds thus delivering a terrible thud...thud...thud at slower speeds. Don't get caught in 10mph traffic for long or you will have a headache. Otherwise at higher speeds they are smooth as glass. Smoother than a TSL and SX from my experience. They do wear very fast, I have about 7-8K on mine and have about %60 tread left. They get extremely loud as that little lug gets smaller but I personally liked the sound sometimes, othertimes it got old when I was tired.
    Oh, and if you have anything onboard that could possibly make a squeek or any other sound....the boggers will find it.
    Go for it if that is really what you want no matter what the consequinces but otherwise I would go with a TSLR or SSR. I DD'd my K5 with BFG's, SSR's, and my current boggers. The SSR's rode the best, the BFG's handled the best and were the quietest, and the boggers by far give my K5 an aggressive look that can't be matched by any other tire but they are also the worst on road I have had.

My blazer is currently not street legal due to smog issues and is no biggie since I bought a 2001 D/CTD but I do plan getting the K5 back on the road in the future and yes, the boggers will stay because I will only cruise with it after I finish my restification. Having a badass show worthy truck on boggers looks cool and is fine for a cruiser but not a daily driver IMHO.

3. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    But I have seen lately in AZ a lot of quys running boggers on k5s and trucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Give those same guys about 2 months and 4 out of 5 of those trucks will have a different tire, most guys can't live with them for long.

[ QUOTE ]
    Right now I have MT Baja claw bias 35's and the ride is not that bad on the freeway. Can someone tell me if the ride is the same or worse. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ] The ride will be as smooth as glass at highway speeds but will be loud as hell. Anything under 40mph and you will learn what having a bogger on asphalt is all about, your baha's will seem like michelin pilots.

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

My buddy has 39.5s on his blazer. One things for sure, I LOVED them!! He used ot let me drive it. When your rolling slow sort of like "bump, bump, bump" and you sound like a helicopter going down the road, totally badass!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif I would drive as fast as I could, just to hear the tires! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I dont know how fast they wore, but when he bought the truck (about 2001), they werent new. With him behind the wheel and a 454 under the hood, they saw there share of burnouts too, but there still on the blazer.

I have wanted boggers ever since I wanted a lifted truck. Ill get a set some day. I dont care how bad they ride or how loud they are.

5. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

I am guessing you want boggers because they look good. I can't blame you and probably the main reason why I bought mine, they are a crazy looking tire. Don't worry, I won't give you any crap for wanting to look good.

Exactly Rif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I have read you are the bling master. I feel the same as you about not wanting to bash up your k5. Nothing wrong with bling. You have one of the nices k5s on this site. Thanks for all the info. I still want a set although they may not be seeing as much DD as I had hoped for.

I have wanted boggers ever since I wanted a lifted truck. Ill get a set some day. I dont care how bad they ride or how loud they are.

Likewise K5chevmonster /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

hmmm, not sure if Rif has the nicest K5 or not... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

Boggers on a cold morning in Idaho is like driving on four flat sided tires and it'll shake your truck apart before you could hit 40 so I have to drive under 15 for a while to get them rounded out a bit, the truck literally bounces up and down about 6 inches as you get it going, then pick it up to about 25 and they just seem like all four are about a pound out of balance, you know like it's hoping up and down off the ground? till they get warmed up then it would be OK at highway speed. Can't hear a thing there so loud, so as they are catching every grove on the highway sending you right and left so you don't catch the grooves, then whoosh get shot over into another lane, but it's so loud you won't hear the wife and kids screaming!!!!

Yup great street tire! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Other than that they're great! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

30 miles each way... you'll be buying lots of tires.
    If you do go for it... just monitor tire pressure VERY closely and rotate them often.

9. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Exactly Rif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I have read you are the bling master. I feel the same as you about not wanting to bash up your k5. Nothing wrong with bling. You have one of the nices k5s on this site. Thanks for all the info. I still want a set although they may not be seeing as much DD as I had hoped for.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks a lot. I probably have one of the nicest looking blinged out K5's but I don't know about the nicest all around, the interior is a little rough. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Likewise K5chevmonster /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Gregory,
    Boggers are fun for a trip or 2 down to get a gallon of milk at the local store but try driving on them everyday. I thought the same way you do. The last month my blazer was street legal I probably only drove it about 4 seperate times and I had a ball doing it...but I remember how easily they got on my nerves. As soon as the "honeymoon" is over it sucks.