Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHO RUNS COWL INDUCTION HOODS?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bullet, Jun 30, 2002.

1. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Wondering who here runs a cowl hood. Which is better Steel or fiberglass? What brand? What hieght? Gotta lose the hood ornament and add some attitude to the Jimmy for the engine swap /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Thanks for the help

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

umm, i would get a metal one if you have never worked with glass before. glass is nice but you need to know how to repair it.
    that is why i am getting a glass one. thats my job. metal cools better, can use stock hinge setup and is stronger. glass is lighter. here is a link. and get the height that you like. around 3 inches looks good to me. but i am going with 3.5.

http://www.up22.com/

grant

3. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I have a fiberglass one. I just wanted to lose a little weight. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

built my own hood scoop for my '77 crew cab.Sort of copied the cowl hood design.Not as long of a scoop though.I like the looks of the aftermarket cowls but didn't want to pay up the a$$ for one.It came out pretty good.Not quite done yet.Need to weld it and add some bondo and paint.I did this to let some heat out from the BB.

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Anyone have a tilt frontend on their trucks? And use them off-road?

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I`m running a steel cowl hood made by Key-part! Fit and looks great!

7. wkasak

wkasak Registered Member Premium Member

I have been running a fiberglass cowl hood with about a 2.5/3" rise for about 4 years now. When I wanted a cowl hood the only ones I could find were fiberglass, or custom made. I wasn't impressed with the Harwood hoods because of the quality, and inability to use the factory hinges, and springs. The hood I bought is finished on both sides with metal inserts to retain the factory springs. It was made by a company out of Texas, that I doubt is still in business. I do have a few stress cracks, and has the not so flat paint look now after a few years. My advice is go with a quality fiberglass hood if weight is your major concern. Although I don't think mine weights much if any less then a metal hood, since it is two separate pieces molded together with the metal inserts. Go with the metal cowl if fitment, paint quality, and structural integrity are a priority. If I had it to do over, I would go with the new metal hoods, because weight is not an issue for me. However I am very happy with my current hood, and have no reason to replace, unless it gets damaged. Here's a pic of my hood at http://www.geocities.com/wkasak/My_Blazer_Site.html?1025528701529 Good luck.

8. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Im thinking about cutting open the original metal hood and hand making a fiberglass scoop. Been experimenting a lot lately with fiber and it seems like it wouldn't be too hard, just time consuming. I want to get the air filter seperated from the engine bay to keep water out and get some cooler air. Best of both worlds? we'll see....

9. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

There is a place in Rapid City, SD that make a metal cowl scoop to add to your exisiting hood. Approx. $150. Will try to find a link. Want to this for my '66, and might put one on the 'Burb. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

rodzilla is right their site is www.speedcenter.net /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

they're steel cowls that you weld onto your hood, i think it's very cool.