Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who runs Flowmaster 70 series? Too quiet?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Jan 14, 2004.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Need to do a system on the Burb, gonna replace the old cat, etc. going two into one and want a muffler that is quiet yet you can hear a low rumble out of.........anyone running a Flowmaster 70 post up please. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Need to do a system on the Burb, gonna replace the old cat, etc. going two into one and want a muffler that is quiet yet you can hear a low rumble out of.........anyone running a Flowmaster 70 post up please. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my 40s are too quiet. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd run 50 series flowmasters. Nice rumble to them.

4. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a 2003 hd with a 70 and ist sounds nice deep tone still a little quiter than i wanted but sounds better then stock. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine runs true duel 50 series on a 2003 4.8L GMC and it sounds really good. Nice and mellow with a deep rumble at idle and not loud when cruising, unless liberal skinny pedal is used. Then you hear it and it sound great!

Kris

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a 70 series on a 2 into 1 3" single exhaust no cat with headers. I like it. A little louder than stock at idle and cruise. Sounds good, like a flowmaster when I get on it. I am really not into having a loud exhaust. I like to be able to hear the stereo and talk to people next to me when going down the road.
    But
    If you are also running a cat I think a big block 50 series would work for you just as good. Maby be a little cheaper too.

7. 1989blazer

1989blazer Registered Member

I just changed to a 3" 40 series flowmaster and a new cat on my Blazer. It's almost as quiet as stock at constant speed on flats. Idle is quiet but good sounding. Acceleration is loud, but not anti-social. 35Wx4 stereo into quad 6 x 9's still sounds great.

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've got dual 70's on Stomper and it still seems too loud to me....

Disclaimer:

Big Block
    Turndowns
    YMMV... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Dan just put a 70 on his sub and I think it sounds good...very quiet when he's not on it, and a nice low rumble when he gets in the exhaust. I also just ran a Y pipe off of headers into a free flow cat and a 3" 50 series delta flow. WAY quieter than my dual 40's, and a lot throatier. Of course with the linex'd cab, you can still hear it, but at least now talking is possible. And now, the Mt/r's are louder than the exhaust. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

btw, PM Dan Dycus (Krazie87K5 I think)...he has an extra used 70 series in great condition. Betcha he wants it gone.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. I am looking to do the same exact thing. I have had a Gibson cat back with a high flow cat in my last Sub and at highway speeds, it resonated bad inside. I think the 70 series flowmaster will be the right choice.

Mat

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Our '94 Sub has the Flowmaster cat back system with a 50 series. It's a tad on the loud side inside the truck. It gets tiresome on a long highway run. (And my wife hates the noise it makes when it downshifts at 30 MPH pulling the 6-7% grade on one of the streets to our neighborhood.) /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I had stock manifolds, stock y pipe, into a 3-chamber 3" flowmaster single exhaust. It is perfect, very nice tone to it, its not very loud until you get on it. The single exhaust makes it sound very nice.

13. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

just installed a 2, 2/14" in and 1, 3" out 50 series and it has a nice rumble to it but it was quieter than i wanted. all my friends have a duel 40 series and liked the way those sounded.

14. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

If your not in a hurry I'll let ya know. I'm putting in a flowmaster 70 single 3" in and single 3" out with no cat on my crew cab that has a 454. It should be done next week. I'm waiting on a new passenger side exhaust manifold. It should be here in a couple days and as soon as its done I'll let ya know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. rjfguitar

I've got dual 40 series out 5" tips(deepens the tone) with manifolds and it sounds pretty darn good. I can really here my cam when the motor is idling and it roars when I get on it hard. I can't wait to hear it when I get headers. Interior noise isn't to bad suprisingly and with having OD it is very managable on the freeway.

16. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

I have 2 70 series on k-5 6.2 diesel. awesome sound like a big block not to loud and not that poppy sound you get with glasspacks. 50 series were too loud for me

17. tungsten

tungsten 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have 2 70 series on k-5 6.2 diesel. awesome sound like a big block not to loud and not that poppy sound you get with glasspacks. 50 series were too loud for me

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been following this thread with interest since my K5 still has a factory style exhaust system on it. With the 350 transplant, I intend to ditch the mammoth OEM sandbox cat and replace it with a highflow universal model and then ditch the OEM style muffler for a 70-Series.

Sounds like this is the way to go if you want it to have a deep, throaty sound but not a lot (or any?) drone in the cabin.

18. rjfguitar

I think I am going to run a 1 chamber flowmaster with a high flow cat on my new 87' K5...

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would if they weren't $110 each! They're deeper than the 2 chambers, but not as loud.

I think I'm going to try Dynomax bullet race mufflers next.

20. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Got mine for 100.00 to the door. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif