Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who runs Lockers, Limited Slip or Open in Front and/or Rear Diff's.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Jul 20, 2003.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Who runs Lockers, Limited Slip or Open in Front and/or Rear Diff\'s.

Im curious to know the general opinion and setup's of whos running what. I know the hard core or non-street driven vehicles are lockers or locked, but what about the 80/20 or 50/50 street/trail vehicles?

What do you run in the front and back?

I came across a great deal on a Eaton LS for the rear and an Auburn LS for the front. Wondering if this is a good or bad start.

Post Up...whats the deal /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Re: Who runs Lockers, Limited Slip or Open in Front and/or Rear Diff\'s.

wakeboard&4x4er put limited slips in both (daily driver) and it improved his off trail performance allot and streetability was not really affected. I personally run mine on the street 80/20 and I welded both (d60/14ff) and have not seen or felt the chirping tire drag that most report with welded rears the front doesn't affect much till you get on the trail but I intend to fix that by twin sticking my np205 but the trails I have been on even open front guys do 2 and 3 point turns so it hasn't been a problem. So yes LS is a great start especially if your getting a great deal like you said.

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a detroit in a 14bff. This is in my daily driver. The street manners are fine. A little tire chirping when backing out of a tight parking spot or when you really get on it turning a corner, but if you learn how to drive with it barley makes a sound. I wouldn't trade it for a LS thats for sure.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pretty much already covered the benefits/disadvantages in the other thread, but I've got a gov-lock in the rear of my truck (95% on road I'd say) and it works great. I also don't hammer on it, because I know what will happen. Guess it keeps me from wearing my tires down too. Oh wait, no, thats the current motor. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The new Eaton limited slip they have on their website, at the highest preload, would probably be a good diff if you only see a bit of off-road, and pretty mild stuff at that. The road manners should be fine, and it should last a long time, but as was mentioned, with a lot of "load" (one tire off the ground for those of us whose trucks don't flex a lot) that one wheel in the air will probably start spinning while the other stays in place.

If (when) my gov-lock goes, I've got a factory LS diff out of an old police car I'm going to try. I'm not expecting it to perform as well as the gov-lock, but you'll know if you spin one tire all the time if it's effective or not.

Haven't heard much about their electric locker, that sounds like the best option so far, if they actually start making them for differentials we use.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I run a Powertrax No-slip locker in my front Dana60 and a Detroit Locker in the rear 14 bolt. I run much more street than trail and really have no complaints other than the usual bang associated with the Detroit every once in a while. I also have lockout hubs on the front and a part time kit so disengaging the front end is a snap. Without crossover steering it was hard to make tight turns with the front locker engaged. With crossover it is much easier. I busted a hub on my front end yesterday, probably a result of being locked up front and playing hard.

6. 88Silverado

[ QUOTE ]
    that one wheel in the air will probably start spinning while the other stays in place.

[/ QUOTE ] Isnt this the same problem as an open carrier /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Pretty much already covered the benefits/disadvantages in the other thread

[/ QUOTE ]
    What thread..must have missed it.

( I traded some old parts I had for these units installed)

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    What thread..must have missed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

this one

[ QUOTE ]
    Isnt this the same problem as an open carrier

[/ QUOTE ]

And yes, it is. The problem I can see for trucks is that for one, you are dealing with a very heavy vehicle compared to most of the cars (5000+ lbs easy, vs. 4000lbs max for a Camaro or similar size car), and when you completely remove a tire from ground contact, you are loading up the other tire with ALL of the vehicle weight from teh other side.

That typically doesn't happen in cars, usually it's just one tire hits ice and the other doesn't, but without tons of weight on the one tire, you won't see any "slippage" from the LS diff. But when you put 2500lbs on one tire (or somewhere around that weight) you will quickly overcome the preload of the LS diff.

IIRC, the test specs for GM plate type LS diffs is 40ft lbs...it should take about 40 ft lbs applied to one tire while the driveshaft is locked, to force it to slip. That's not much. Also why they are "invisible" when you corner, even at 10 mph, as the clutches slip the entire turn. This is where the Eaton unit should be more effective, I think the max preload on it will take a fair amount more effort to "slip" than the stock units.

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

I have a detroit in a 14bff. This is in my daily driver. The street manners are fine. A little tire chirping when backing out of a tight parking spot or when you really get on it turning a corner, but if you learn how to drive with it barley makes a sound. I wouldn't trade it for a LS thats for sure.

[/ QUOTE ] same here /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i have the lockright just in the rear, and use my truck more on the street than the trail. the only thing you have to watch is going around corners /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a Lock-Right in my daily driver! It NEVER goes off road and it's locked in back. Much better than an LS unit when you learn to drive.

My big truck is open front/gov-loc rear, but that will soon change. Plans are to run Lockrights in both ends. I don't see the point in spending the extra money on a Detroit for the rear when a Lock-Right does the same thing.

11. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I run lockrite in front and detriot in rear and love it but it sucks to turn when in 4wd and locked hubs

12. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

have a govlock in the rear right now, and going from the open in my daily to the govlock in my k10 is a big kick in the ass...plan on locking a 14bff and d60 when i get them..as far as the auburn posi..its not really worth it from what ive read because if it breaks...you have to buy a whole new unit..

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Detroit rear and a Lock Right going in the front in early September I think. I love the Detroit, and my truck is probably 95% street lately. Actually it hasn't moved since May, but was driving it every day before that.

Rene

14. 88Silverado

Well I took the truck to the local hills and tried 3 hills I couldnt make it up due to tire spin. I was able to climb all three without a problem. On one, which is loose dirt, I had some wheel spin on the front but still made it up. I can see why from the posts the locker type is the better choice. I do have to say I did see improvement climbing hills I couldnt before with the open carriers. Guess as long as both tires are on the ground it might work OK.

15. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

My eaton LSD grips even if one wheel is not on the ground. Its all a matter of how you set it up, but I guess it also depends on the LSD unit.

I would imagine driving in 4wd with locked front and rears can be quite scary!!!!!!

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I am not real impressed with the Truetrac in my front 10 bolt. It seems to like to "unlock" when you need it most. If I were to do it over again it would definately be a full locker or spool up front.

17. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting

Rear= 14B w/Detroit
    Front= D60 w/ARB
    Driven= 60%trail/40%street
    Gears= 4:56
    Love it. Chevy Tough /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Mine is a daily driver and it has a Detroit Locker in the rear, and a PowerLok Posi in the Dana 60 up front. No problem's with either, I really like em. However once in awhile when I roll to a stoplight and then leave when it's green, I get a bang out of the Detroit, but that's normal. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Deee-troits front and rear. 100% traction 100% of the time /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

20. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

14BFF - Detroit
    D60 - Open (The crowd recoils in horror!)

Ok, yeah whatever.... I'm a poser or whatever, but you can check out my gallery and see that I went wherever I wanted (or dared to) in Moab last year.

Important Factoid #1:

Tire size makes a big difference in what you can get away with locker-wise. On smaller tires, I would have had a LOT tougher time on the obstacles....the smaller tire can't fill the hole, so it simply spins in mid-air. In that case, you're all done! BUT, with a larger tire, you can fill in all but the deepest holes with those meats, and the absence of a locker is not as critical.

Sure there were a few times I would have LIKED to had a locker up front, but it wasn't too often. I suspect as I get to be a more accomplished 'wheeler, my opinion will become less "flexible" on the subject of lockers. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif