Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who runs mulitmount... like it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Sep 16, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

laketex posted a link to a www site selling warn M8000i multimount winch setups for $49.99 and it got me thinking. I plan on running a 8000 lb-class winch and hadnt really considered the idea of running a multimount. Who has their winch mounted this way, and how do you like it? I really like the idea of being able to remove my winch easily so it doesnt get stolen and I can use it on the front or rear of my rig as I choose. Seems like this could really help with approach/departure angles too if I kept the winch securely stowed until I needed it.

anyway, any/all opinions/thoughts about mounting a winch this way would be appreciated. Also, is the $50 deal on the front-hitch + multimount hardware a good deal? whats a normal street price on that gear?

j

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i run the multi-mount setup and love it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif mount it as high up on the bumper as you can to get a good approach angle /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif mine mounted high sat at the same level nose to nose with another blazer that had 9in lift and 38's with his mounted low and my 2.5in lift and 38's pics are in my webshots albums /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Thats what I'm doing for the wagon. that way I can also use the winch for my trailer or my burb if needed.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I built a multi mount on my K5 and never used it. For a little while I pulled the winch and carried it in the back to keep the weight off the nose, then I got tired of that and it rode in the bumper from then on. I put the dual receivers in the rear bumper and never got the long hyd. hoses to use it and never really missed it. I've been in a few places it would be nice to have but only when it comes time to winch someone else. Buiding it right takes a good bit of effort and I'm not totally sold it's worth it. If you can buy a good setup cheap, it's worth a shot.

5. jekbrown

thanks for the opinions guys. Since I live in a high verhicle-accessory-theft area, it'd be really nice to be able to remove it and keep it in the house when I dont need it. By keeping it inside when not in use, it would stay out of the elements which would be nice since i live in the north-wet and will be running synthetic winch rope. Its kinda funny that I never thought of running a winch this way before... lol. I dunno, maybe having a wincher bumper stuck on my rig had me locked into that mindset. When the s-10 cab goes on tho... that bumper is prolly gonna go bye-bye.

I'm kinda surprised you never found much use for mounting your winch in the rear of your rig stephen... u wheel in some hardcore stuff and I'd think you'd run into situations where that'd be handy. guess not! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif anyway, I'd have a receiver in the rear of my rig anyway... even if I didnt use it for the winch, it'd be no big deal. Being able to easily/quickly remove it from the front alone would be worth it for me I think.

j

6. jekbrown

oh yeah, any1 know how much the front-hitch + multimount usually costs from Warn? The ones that are onsale are for different rigs... but some simple modifications/welding could fix that... and $49.99 seems like a hella good deal.

j

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

you might re-read about those setups....I thought they were for S10's???

8. jekbrown

yeah i know, thats why I said I'd have to mod them to fit in my rig... the part the winch mounts in is the same for every rig so far as I know, its just the front hitch part that is different. The key for me is that it holds the winch I want (8000i) and seems to be purdy inexpensive.

j

9. jekbrown

[slaps forhead]

duh, finally did re-read the webpage.. guess just the front receiver is on sale. meh! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif oh well, multi-mount still seems like the way to go for me. any1 unhappy with their decision to go multimount?

j

10. mudhog

i got my multi-mount cradle (the part that holds the winch) and it was $135 at 4wpw with our obh discount /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. jekbrown

wow, thats kinda spendy... in hindsight, does it look like ya coulda made your own for less?

j

12. mudhog

ya you could very easily /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of mounting my new Warn HS9500 on the front of my 79 k10 and moving my 8000 lb Ramsey to a multimount setup. I have found the the most useful thing about a multimount is the ability to mount it on a different vehicle. I have quick disconnects on my truck and also a set of long 1/0 cables with jumper cable clamps on the ends to mount it on another truck or even a trailer. I will keep in in the bed of my truck. I am building a plate that bolts to the bed and has 2 1/2" square tubing sticking up out of it. My spare tire will sit down over the tubing and the winch will slide into it and lock into place with one of those locking hitch pins. It will provide relative theftproofness (is that a word?) as well as keep it from sliding around when I drive.

14. jekbrown

yeah, i prolly wouldnt be loaning my winch to other peeps too much. Hate to say it, but I aint rich and a winch is a high dollar item to me. If I loan it to some schlep and the rope or some other part gets busted its just not gonna be good times. If I break it myself, then fine.. i screwed up... someone else breaks it.. and its /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif time. I'd rather work the shovel for a while than loan my winch. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

at any rate, I see what you're saying... just one more thing you can do when you go multi-mount. Think thats what I'll do. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I thought about this before and have had many discussions with guys in our club. Here's my opinion: while on paper the multi-mount seems like a great idea, the practicality of it is the problem. A winch by itself is pretty heavy and then add the weight of a beefy enough cradle....then bury the truck in mud or get in a bad situation half-way up a rocky hill. Who's going to try to haul that chunk of steel to the other side of the truck in one of those situations?

Also from my experience a front-mounted winch is most useful for extracting the vehicle it's mounted too the vast majority of the time. Occassionaly it could have been helpful to have a rear-mounted winch but mostly for pulling somebody else.