Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who runs original Flowmaster 50 Series...?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Topdown, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Who runs original Flowmaster 50 Series...?

I am thinking of buying some pretty cheap but need/want to know:
    How loud are they outside?
    How loud inside?
    opinions on them?

I want agressive but not deafening. I would like to be able to turn up my stereo and actually HEAR it... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Thanks
    -Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I dont know to much about that muffler BUT I do know the loudness also depends on what size pipe you gonna run what motor/mods you have done and where the exits are /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got 50 series on my K/5 and camaro.
    My Blazers my daily driver and with a 350 and full length headers, it is pretty loud and aggressive sounding outside, and actually quieter inside than 3 chamber flows for me at least!? It doesn't resonate as much inside the truck with the top on.
    It sounds good and isn't TOO loud for me driving it everyday, I love loud pipes. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    My car on the other hand with a built 454, full length headers and cuttoff 50 series mufflers you can hear that several blocks away, its a cop caller. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    Depends on everything your running in front of the mufflers, and the size of the exhaust pipe also.

4. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

I run them on my Vortec 454. Nice rumble without being too loud. I can hear the radio fine.

I am running stock manifolds, but more importantly, with cat. converters (this probably makes more difference than anything else).

I hate loud exhausts and I really like this setup. Cannot comment on power since these were put in when I swapped to this engine from my tired old carburated 350 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

5. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Mild-lumpy cam - mild build to a 350. I will be running stock manifolds 2.25" pipe and exits behind the rear wheels - stock location.

I found them on ebay for cheap and need new mufflers... I run a soft top and drive this daily so I dont want it terribly loud...

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Shawn has 50's behind the 496 in the Potent Rodent, with no cats. That thing is LOUD!!! We're talking about hearing it a mile away loud. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif He's planning to swap in something quieter so it doesn't drown out conversation on the highway.

I put a newer 50 on my wife's '94 Suburban. With the factory cat ahead of it, it just has a nice mellow rumble. It could stand to be just a tad quieter on long highway runs, but it isn't annoying around town. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Yep, you can have my 50's for dirt cheap. I'm sick of them. For a BBC with dual 3" exhaust, its way too much.

I thought I had the 70's but Summit sent me the wrong mufflers and now it's too late to return them. I feel stupid for not checking the part # when I got them.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i run a flowmasta 50... rarely have the top on my rig anymore... and my entire interior is stripped of carpet and sound-deadening insulation. Is it loud? not to me... but then I was in the marines so I know what LOUD really is. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif After the first few hundred gun shots, mine-field explosions, jet take-offs and long helicopter rides... no, the flowmasta 50 is quiet. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

9. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

how much do you want for the mufflers??

10. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Edit:

Mufflers sold to Chris.

BTW- 50 series would sound great on a 350 single or dual but IMO, a little too loud for a 496 BBC with no cats and headers.

11. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i have a mild 350,manifolds,2.25 pipe and 3 chambered flowmasters exiting behind the rear tires pointing down and out..mine is nice has good tone but its not to loud....

12. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I have a stock 350, stock manifolds and stock y-pipe, then I put a high flow cat 3" in and out, then single origonal 50 series 3" in and out with a single mandrel bent 3" pipe coming out in stock location. I have no insulation in the rear bed of my truck. If you want a good sound, loud outside but bearable inside, this is the muff for you. My buddies can hear me coming, but I can still talk inside and hear my stereo just fine. And once I hit the highway and put her in overdrive, it's almost totally quiet which is nice on long trips. I would get them even at full price so thats my .02 cents.
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    If you want a good sound, loud outside but bearable inside, this is the muff for you. My buddies can hear me coming

[/ QUOTE ]

good gawd, are we still talking about automotive stuff here?!? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

j

14. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Shawn.. What series did you end up getting from Summit? Are they already installed? Not sure yet but I might could let you trade them towards some 70 series??