Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who runs the t-case parking brake?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Mar 9, 2003.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I am going to order the t-case parking brake, I wanted to know what you who use it think of it. Also, how far does the driveshaft get pushed back, is it just the thickness of the rotor? Any driveline probs after installing it? Thanks

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have it, it took a bit of fabbing to get it to work right but now that it's hooked up it appears that it will work great. The truck is still on jackstands though, so I can't say for sure how well it works. D-shaft gets pushed back jus tthe thickness of the rotor, and you need to run the CV shaft to use it. </font>

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

Ok I already have a CV on my driveshaft. What kind of fabbing, with the floorboard? Is High Angle Driveline the only company who sells the kit?

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

AFAIK HID is the only place that sells it. I think you will also have to have your flange machined some to make it work.

Floor board clearance dependes on where you clock the caliper. If you put it on top (like I did) you will need to gain about 1" of clearance. I just put a 2x4 on my floor (pun intended ) jack and pumped it till I had enough clearance.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

Thats no problem, I have a 1" body and I am planning to lower the t-case altogether.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yep, the CV needs to be machined a bit, and you need Jess's flange. I think the smallest size is for a 1350 CV, so if you have something smaller you might need a different shaft. I have the caliper on the top too, no body lift and the t-case is in the stock location, the caliper cleared the floorboard with a good inch to spare. Probably just due to the difference between the 1st and 2nd gen floorboards.

THe hardest part is getting the thing to actually work. I ended up using a pulley to make the stock cable make a right turn after it passes through the left framerail. From there it goes to a peice of allthread that I had to add so the cable would reach. The spring in the caliper was not strong enough to make the caliper disengage on it's own, so I also had to make a second return spring setup on the caliper itself. It took 30 minutes to install the flange and driveshaft, and about 8 hours to make the brake work correctly. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif</font>

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

Were the modifications only necessary for second gens, or will first gens have the same problem?? That kinda sucks all that work to make it work.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have no idea, maybe my truck is just funny. I know there'a several people on here that have the brake on their truck, but not many of them actually have it connected. </font>

9. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Just what does a t case parking brake do?
    and what are the advatages of having one?
    sorry i have to ask but i have no idea
    Thanks

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's just a parking brake that mounts on the rear output of the t-case. It's an alternative to running the Caddy calipers when you do a disk conversion. </font>