Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who runs their softop in the winter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I put mine on this summer and was wondering how they held up in the snow and stuff. Should I put the hard top back on?

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Fine, except when the windows get all nasty from hi-way driving, dont pull into a gas station and use the window cleaning thing (whatever its offical name is???) or you will scratch the plastic.

Dont ask how I know /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

rob

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

do those leak cold air a lot though?

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have a Kayline Fast Trac top and I installed it in the Summer of 2000 and it has been on since. My top has the Dark Tint and Crushed Vinyl (shiny) material and I have never had any problems with it. The Zippers have started to fade a little but thats about it. Mine leaks like theres no tomorrow because I havent taken the time to keep the side windows poked under the drip rails, so now it has kind of settled into its shape where the drip rails are ineffective. I plan to take some velcro strips and velcro the drip rail over the window then it shouldnt leak anymore. For the most part, I really like my Soft Top and would leave it on year around.

One thing to remember - never remove the top in cool weather - you may never get it back on unless the sun can warm the material so it will stretch.

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I do. Just gotta be a little careful cleaning them off and keeping snow and ice off of em. I switched mine over to the hardtop about halfway last year, it was a little warmer, but it really wasn't that big a deal. Doubt I do that again this year. I love my softop /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif If you get the snow and ice piled on it pretty good, stick one of those halogen lights in the back for a couple of hours and then get the water off the top, less likely to tear anything that way.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

We'll, I'll give it a try and see how it goes. It can get pretty cold here so I was wondering how that worked out.

7. StonerK5

StonerK5 1/2 ton status

Winter is when I take the top off /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif