Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who runs with a roof rack ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JIM88K5, Oct 28, 2002.

1. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

What kind of roof rack ya got, and how do ya like it ? I'm thinking about a Con-Fer rack. Are there more brands out there ?
    Thanks, Jim

2. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

I have a 53" 'Yakima' which I practically stole on Ebay for $70 (retailed @ $250). I love it, and I used it to haul my Canoe and lumber from my never-ending house remodel /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    I love those Con-Ferr baskets though! I'm not sure,but I think you need an existing rack or some special mounts. My rear rack is drilled through the fiberglass shell.
    I like racks (-->insert sarcastic remarks here<--), and once you get one, you wonder why you didn't have one a long time ago. Very useful... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

The Con-fer basket is pretty good. You need to drill the mounts into your hard top. They have a pretty good kit for it all. I'm gonna be getting one soon myself. Only place to keep a full sized spare /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks, over,
    Jim

5. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Thats what I'm gonna do. Put the spare up there when I need the interior space.
    Jim

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I've got a 5' x 7' Garvin Industries safari rack on my Suburban. It claims to hold 500lbs and I've done it. Great for carrying canoes, camping gear, and whatever /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif. I wish I came in 5' x 9', but I otherwise love it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 76k5Blazer

76k5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a confer 4' X 4' rack i love it /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I have Yakima Q-towers with the 47"? crossbars and 2 bike racks and a ski rack...I had the rack on my car in High School and I just mounted it to the removable top with the Yakima kit...only bitch about it is that I can't get stuff up there very easily...I usually have to hold the bike/ skiis with one hand and stand o nthe rear tire and toss it up there....

Chris

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have been thinking of getting one. Truck no longer fits in the garage anyway so not loosing much. I want it as much to protect my soft top from low branches as anything. Just need to figure out a way to mount it off the body. I would also like to put a some utility lights up there as well as some high power lights for the front. I want to put a pair of floods for the rear for backing as well as lighting up behind the truck if I have to repair anything or get stuff in the back. Wouldn't mind a couple side facing lights either. Mount my shovel and High lift off it also to get them out of the way. Only real problem I see with it is I do have a few trails around here with some fallen trees you have to drive under. There are a couple that I won't clear with another 8 inches on the truck.

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys !!! I'll be getting the 6in Con-Fer from 4wp most likely /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    Jim

11. NightRider

NightRider 1/2 ton status

someone back me up, but I know can-backs have real good racks...then again I'm not sure if you have to have a canback softtop to use one or not.