Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who runs with no carpeting?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by joez, Oct 7, 2004.

1. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Just curious, who runs with no carpeting or sound deadening material in their diesel K5? I am thinking of ditching the carpet and such and bedlining the whole interior. The interior of my K5 is really clean, but im sick of worrying about it. This way i wouldnt have to worry about what i spill or how much mud and salt a track in. Floor mats only do so much, last spring i had to tear everything out up front to let it all dry out.

So, my question is, how unbearably loud is it? Daily driving on bias TSL's is relatively quiet to me, just for reference.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have no sound deadener on the firewall (engine side) and no carpet or sound deadener of any sort inside the truck.

Is it loud? I can barely hear the 39.5's on the freeway...a conversation with a passenger leads to a hoarse throat (if you can hear what they're saying)...to hear the stereo it has to be at full volume.

Not sure what to say, if you can avoid removing anything that qiets things down you'll be happier. I'm thinking of some sort of carpet with sound deadener glued to the underside that I can snap to the floor or something. Making my truck quieter is pretty high up my list of junk I really want to do.

Rene

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Well, if its THAT loud, i think ill look for another idea. Ill probobally end up with vynal marine flooring then.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

make sure you really extra coat the tops of rockers where weatherstripping sits, and also the sidekick panels and everything, water and dirt collecting in the rocker tops will cause major problems in short order, i would also drop the bed wheel tubs and coat backside of bedsides real good too.

carpeting doesnt seem to block out much sound, at least not factory anyways, but then gm never padded them too well, in the trucks anyways

5. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i have a military k5 with no sound deadening at all. it's not as loud as my jeep was with the top on. i have no plans on installing carpet or soundmat, but thats just me. if you live near a military installation/gaurd base, you can probably go talk to the head honcho and explain what you are wanting to do, just ask if you can ride in one for a few minutes on the base. my local gaurd base has been a blessing. i have gotten everything one can think of, even been offered spare parts that they take off non running k5's. i would suggest trying that route if you can, but i dont think you'll be that unhappy without carpet. just my $.02.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think the factory sound deadening on the engine side of the firewall really helps...and my truck originally being a gasser does not have that.

Rene

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I run no carpet or deadener in the cab, and I have the floor duralined. It is louder, but it doesnt bother me because i run with all 3 windows in my pickup open and i hear the exhaust cackle over the motor anyway /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I think you might get wet when you uncover the holes in the floor /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif But my rust free '79 was only a rubber mat originally which I left it out when replacing the 4 spd due to it being torn up... going to a 6.2 this weekend (probably wrapped up and running by next weekend) so I'll know by then /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Nope, my truck is RUST FREE. No holes in the floor for me. I think next weekend ill pull all the carpeting and see how it is, if its unbearable i go the marine vynal route, if its not to bad, ill get out the herculiner and spray the interior.

10. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I haven't run carpet since the MWSK5T when I submerged my rig!! Yes, it does get loud running Boggers down the interstate!!!