Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who runs without inner fender wells?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I see it this way in magazines sometimes, and it would be incredibly convenient for working on stuff... but around here I'd end up with salt and junk on my motor, which would be bad news.

I'm just curious though, does anyone run full time without the fender wells? How would you mount the battery tray?

2. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

My brother runs his that way. It's real easy to work on, but he likes to play in the Iowa mud. He definately got his money's worth by buying a K&N air filter. His engine is always caked. Not real sure how he has his battery mounted, knowing him he probably has it bungy strapped to the fender. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I do. But my fenders are narrowed. Went and played in the mud after i got it done. Not much got on the motor. Battery is in the tool box.

4. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I run mine without the inner fenders. I live in Ga. so I don't have to worry much about salt but I do get plenty of dust, dirt, mud and water under the hood. No biggie, just wash it off every once in a while.

I made new battery tray mounts using part of the original mounts. I ran a brace down to the radiator support/front crossmember. I could get pics but it really isn't too hard to figure out once you start looking at things. I will tell you that moving all the stuff that was connected to the inner fender is a whole lot more time consuming than whittling up some battery tray brackets.

BTW, my K5 is a diesel so you might have to make sure that your spark plug wires, distibutor and coil are in good shape as was as water repellency goes. Just pressure wash everything in the egine bay good,,, then if it cranks and starts AND runs well,,, then you ain't got no worries! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I also run like this. And I did have my battery tray bungeed up for a while. That finally gave way and I moved the battery to the back. Have it right behind the rear seats. As for the the engine getting crap all over it. Some simple green and hose once a week takes care of her. We don't have much salt on the roads down here.

6. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i do.. buy my fenders are narrowed too.. here's how i did my battery tray..

[​IMG]

bad part about that location is that you have to remove all the heater/ac stuff to do it..

7. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I have mine under my passenger front Beard Ultra seat and cage mount.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I yanked my inner fenderwells last summer. No problems at all. Didn't effect the battery at all. Not mounted to the inner fenderwell at all on my 76 K5.

9. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i dont but if i did i would make some removable ones out of heavy rubber, like mudflap stuff, to go play in the mud.