Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who says 33's won't rub?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, May 15, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Who says 33\'s won\'t rub?

Well, I had an interesting start to my day. Rushing to catch the train, I hit a giant root shaped like a ramp at about 45, rolled up the root to the tree, which resculpted the wheel to sort of a caved-in shape. The tire then travelled backward to resculpt the fender, and later went flat as all the air escaped through the nice gap under the bead.
    After my wife came and got me, drove me home to get the spare (also after we drove home again to get the floor jack), I pulled my wheel off and noticed a serious amount of play in the rotor on the spindle. So I guess I'll be doing the ball joints on that side sooner than I thought...

I'm most pissed about the fender. The other stuff is just an inconvenience more than anything else. Body-work is not in my ability at all.

Moral of the story:
    Don't trust what you can't see at high speed (tree roots)!

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Re: Who says 33\'s won\'t rub?

Just sawzall the fender and it'll be just fine.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I know how ya feel. I was going through a ditch kind of crossways a little while ago and heard the tires rub bad...got out to look at the fender and it looked fine where it usually rubs, righ at the rear bottom part, so I was happy. An hour later, I saw that the tire had pushed the front of the fender almost into a 90 deg angle from where it should have been...this is with 33's and a 3" lift.

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I had 33's on a 4" lift and I crinkled the fenders /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You can make any tire rub if you really try. With my 4" lift on my Blazer and 4" lift on my Suburban I have had 35s rub, 33s rub, and even 31s rub.(BTW I didnt think 31s could rub, but with no shocks, bumps stops and no sway bar its possible /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ) I need to quit flexing out my trucks, all my fenders are pushed in at the corner, ohwell they are trucks not show cars /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Dan

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, but it still sucks! Especially now thumbin' my way to work, since all I hear from the front end is "Grind grind grind"...