Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who sells a full hydro setup for our trucks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, Apr 3, 2005.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I saw a post awhile back about where to find a full hydro setup for our blazers and for the life of me I can't find it. I want a good matched setup for the right price and I'm not talking hydro assist. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

FYI full hydro is not legal on the street. D.O.T. says there must be a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and axle.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no one really sells a kit FOR any vehicle. At some point there is custom fab involved.
    http://www.pscpowersteer.com/
    Place that sells nice kits.

4. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

do a search, get the number, and call Howe. They have everything you need, and they have systems meant for extreme 4x4s, rockcrawlers etc etc.

j

6. 4X4HIGH

I am definately helping him out. If he does drive this rig on the street, (we don't know the answer) and if something fails and he kills someone and the authorities find out he has full hydro steering he will have the biggest lawsuit facing him and probably jail time also for manslaughter. Now had he said this is a trail rig only then i wouldn't have said a word. I'm just trying to educate someone who might not already know the facts about legality of full hydro.

7. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

4x4HIGH

Hey send me the link about Hydro Steering and this DOT stuff.
    being not legal .

8. 4X4HIGH

Once i find it again i will post up a link. :thumb:

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

4x4high, thanks for the advice, but no thanks. My question wasn't "Is it legal".

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Sled, Doug, and Jek....thanks for the links.

Doug, about how much $ did it set you back after all said and done? Did you go with the return to center orbital valve or the non and are you happy with it?

11. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

The orbital valve you want is termed "open center / load reacting". Still, your return to center is only as effective as your castor angle.

My single ended ram, orbital valve, pump, and reservoir were $1k. But, don't forget all the little things like:

pump mounting bracket
    pulley
    orbital mounting bracket
    steering shaft/adapter
    fluid cooler
    reservoir bracket
    hoses
    possible pump belt

It started out a budget project, until I realized it wasn't a budget project! I've installed everything except the hoses. I hope to have them done this week. I'm excited to see how it works myself :waytogo:

12. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

If I had to do it all over again, I would go with PSC. They build some awesome stuff. I have also seen several of the Howe rams bend where I have never seen a bent PSC ram, even in rear steer. Dont know if Howe cured that problem or not. All PSC systems are balanced, as far as I know.

I dont really know of anyone that builds a kit per say, just for full size GM vehicles. Most of the vendors that do sell full hydro systems also sell mounts and clamps for the rams and small steering links if you are running a double ended ram and want to eliminate the tie rod. Most anyone with fair fab skills can undertake installation of a full hydro system. I have installed two PSC systems, one with two single ended rams, and one with a dual ended ram, and it took me about one day to go from no steering or mounts for anything, and running/driving. The full hydro I run on my buggy is a pieced together system from Howe, West Texas Off Road, and Tractor Supply and it works great although it only has one single ended ram so it is unbalanced.

Edit: BTW, 4x4High, STFU. No one asked for your ignorant pointless posts.

13. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Good, I'd like to see the link also, I may try and replace the body on my jeep next winter and be able to drive it into town or to work once in a while, but want to make sure my hydro steering is legal.

I have searched the Illinois Compiled Statutes and there is no mention of requiring a mechanical link from the steering wheel to the tires for steering.

Everybody claims how unsafe it is to rely on a hydraulic connection, but you rely on a hydraulic connection for your brakes and nobody makes a fuss about that. I mean come on what if the hydraulic line blows out, you no longer have brakes?

Disclaimer, this is just my opinion, and I would much rather lose my brakes than my steering.

14. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I think that's why there's an emergency brake, in case something happens to your hydraulic brakes. Granted, it won't stop you as fast but if you put your tranny in neutral then it will slow you down faster than coasting.

15. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Good point, I hadn't thought of that, my current daily drivers are the first trucks I have owned that the emergency brake actually worked on. :ignore: :doah:

In fact my trail rig doesn't have one, just a line lock.

16. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I think ck5 should make the "safety of full-hydro" discussion a sticky so we can all argue it until the day we die :rolleyes:

That way, people with real hydro-tech questions could actually get somewhere. Geeesh :confused:

17. 4X4HIGH

This is a very uncalled for remark. I was giving the guy some advice, maybe he didn't ask for it but i felt that it was something he should know. Before anyone else wants to argue the legality of full hydro on the street, do your homework. That's all i have to say about this matter. I will not post anymore replies to this post or links to the legal issue about full hydro, you can all find it for yourself.

18. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Come on guys, lets relax a little bit.

19. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

www.performanceoff-road.com
    He doesnt have anything listed on his site, but I can vouch for his products and his expertise. Research all the vendors: PSC, Howe, Rockstomper, PerformanceOff-road. You will see he has the best price for the best cylinder, orbitrol valve, and all the other doo hickeys needed in the steering system.

My steering feels better now, then it did when I had the hydro assist. A properly set up full hydro system will always work good. Getting to the that point takes a little knowledge(I left that up to Sean at Performance Off-road)
    Once you do the full hydro you will wonder why you didnt do it sooner.

And 4X4HIGH....... Go fly a kite :D
    :crewcab: :truck:

20. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

DAMN!!!!!! :confused:

Scott(4x4high) makes one little commment to try to help the guy out and you guys cut him down like he's the devil. He didn't come in here and start **** with anyone. He simple stated a fact that he thought would come in handy. He's not telling anyone they are stupid for wanting to run full hydro, he's just warning them about it.

Since when did CK5 turn into Pirate? :mad: