Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who sells factory wiring harnesses for my K5 ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bavarian_blazer, Jun 14, 2005.

1. bavarian_blazer

bavarian_blazer 1/2 ton status

Hi folks!
    I'm looking for a (new & OEM) wiring harness for my 1984 6,2 Diesel Blazer. Unfortunately I did not find any shop that sells them - just the replacement harnesses suppliers like Painless or LMC. I also searched the CK5 forums, but didn't find any link or address... our local (German) Chevy dealers are only selling these crappy Daewoo things :mad: - you can't call these motorized pieces of sh** "cars" anyway (If you don't believe me, just visit www.chevrolet.de )
    Thank you very much for your support! I can't wait to get my truck back on the road again!

Greetings from the Bavarian Mountains

Flo

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have looked around for an OEM harness for a 73 and as far as I can see my only option is to go aftermarket. A guy at a dealership told me he might be able to get one but it would be close to $1500. Try Ron Francis or Painless or just search for "replacement wiring harness"

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen ex-military chev trucks running around Europe, have you checked into the DRMO system to see what kind, if any, auctions take place in Germany?

I know around here, if the trucks have been cannibilized before DRMO, they typically are missing things like doors, axles, or engine, but the wiring harnesses I bet in a lot of cases are still intact.

I'd be real surprised if GM US sells those harnesses anymore, you can't buy the rear window weatherstripping used until 1991 (discontinued) so I'd be surprised to see a diesel harness still in the system.

4. bavarian_blazer

Thank you very much for your answers!
    The military Chevy trucks are quite famous in Europe, that's right - the gas prices are absolutley insane, so everybody tries to get a Diesel.
    Maybe I could really get the complete wiring out of a CUCV, but what about the harness I need for the options like AC and stuff? Do you know how far the wiring of my k5 is different from the M1009?

@Painless or Replacement Wirings:
    I did not know Ron Francis yet. thanks a lot!
    The thing I do not like is that these harnesses are too universal, I'm afraid that specific things like glow plug wiring or the water-in-fuel controls are not included.

5. dyeager535

Someone that's wired AC is going to have to answer that. I'd be surprised if AC was NOT integrated with the engine harness, rather a standalone. Have to find out from someone on here. I don't have AC, I know the heater harness is seperate from the engine/fuse panel, short of one wire.

As to aftermarket harnesses, they are pricey IMO, but, from all reviews people have said they are pretty darn nice. If they make one for a diesel then I wouldn't worry about it being "correct" too much, not in any way that isn't easily corrected.

6. bavarian_blazer

;) I got new infos:
    I was told by a M1009 guy (-usually he knows what he`s talking about) that the harness out of a military Blazer is really basic and has no connections or wires for all the extras my truck has. Furthermore he (and so do I) hardly could imagine any civilian donor truck with a good wiring :( :( -> He would prefer a replacement harness.
    I recently got a mail from Ron Francis:
    I was told that they can make a specific kit for my truck to the base prices of there different sets, they also sent me some pics... to make it short: I don't like the fuse blocks. It says "your aplication may be slightly different" but who knows .. :crazy:

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~showpic~0000278a~AAAEM~~~

Well, I still don't know what to do :blush:

7. dyeager535

If you have to splice things anyway, and have some basic electrical knowledge, I'm sure folks on here have wiring harnesses they could sell you.

I've got a spare one sitting in my garage, (for sale) too bad I didn't use it, the one in my truck now has the diesel interior wiring (wait light, etc) just taped up.

We should probably clarify what needs replacing on yours...the engine bay wiring is 3 seperate harnesses, the one in the interior is one big jumble.

Not every owner hacks their harness up. :)