Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who sells good carb rebuild kits?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OneInTheSun, Oct 4, 2001.

1. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

The original q-jet on my 305 is definitely in need of a rebuild. I've never rebuilt a carb before, but I figure I should give it a try. I'm aware of the Rochester q-jet book by Doug Roe (which I will buy). Where should I buy the rebuild kit at? I'm assuming a local place like Napa would have what I need. Speaking of which, what sort of kit do I need? I've seen prices on kits range from $20 to $150. I'd like to do a complete rebuild so I guess that I'm looking at the higher price. Also, is it reasonable to expect that the local parts place would have the "off-road kit" (and what exactly is in this kit)?
    Sorry for all the basic questions - I just want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

Thanks.

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No "offroad kit" needed with the Q-jet, it IS the offroad kit. : )

This is assuming your carb doesn't have an electrical plug on it...

Most rebuild kits are nothing more than glorified gasket sets. Even Napa prolly gets more for them than they should. ($20 or less is average I've paid)You take the carb apart to replace three gaskets, and clean it out. Replace float if you want.

You need to check the primary throttle shaft for wear. Take it off vehicle, and if it has any up down (not in or out) movement noticeable, then it should be bushed. Having a carb shop bush it will cost about $40. You can buy a bushing "kit" that comes with the drill bit from http://www.customcarbs.com/
    The self aligning bit is the right way to go.

Other than that, some paint thinner, stiff bristled small brush (hard toothbrush) and small screwdriver should get all the carbon and corrosion out. Don't force anything, take your time, and you will have no problems.

http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

3. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Ha ha - With my luck lately, I think the last part of that write-up may be foretelling my near future.
    Thanks for the tips. I was curious about the off-road kit because sometimes my carb gets seriously pissed when I bounce the truck around too much. It's fine on inclines/declines, but if I take a washboard road too quick, it starts runnin' really rough - almost to the point of stalling out. Takes anywhere from a minute to a couple of days for it to "heal" itself. Of course that doesn't happen all the time either. Possibly something sticking from all the crud in there? Or is that the q-jet's normal way of telling me to stop driving like an idiot?
    Anyways, I'll go get that carb book and read up so I'll be able to ask (slightly) more educated questions.
    Thanks again.

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I got a kit for a Holley from Napa (of course I'm biased on that since the hubby works at Napa) and it was great.

The best thing I did was when I took something apart, I took some masking tape and taped all the screws together and labled them with the same number on the diagram. I didn't have any leftover screws or anything! [​IMG]

<font color=blue>Women should put pictures of missing men on beer cans...</font color=blue>
    Website link is in my profile [​IMG]

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Northern Auto parts has a complete kit for $15. Its a pretty complete kit and has directions. Just give them the model # on your carb and they'll send it to you.
    http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I am not one to usually recommend AutoZone, but they stock most of the Q-Jet rebuild kits. They are good quality, about $20, and you can go pick one up on Sunday if you want. Most any other parts store will have to order the kits.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check your float for "stickiness" when you get the airhorn and fuel baffle out. Just push very lightly on the needle/seat end, and see if it sticks in any position. Mine did/does, and I even tried to fix that last time I had it apart. I'd like to blame mine on the casting, but I can't be certain.

FWIW, my symptoms are: loss of power/"jerking" while pulling a hill, but as soon as I let off the gas, it works ok....all but one time. It hasn't done it again, so I'm optimistic, but I'm sure it was float level...the carb was out of gas when it completely died on me the one time. Its VERY random though in my case.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

8. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I just emailed Northern Auto Parts for a price quote on a carb kit for a P/N 7045229 Rochester Quadra-Jet, and they quoted me $11.41 [​IMG]! That is more like it. There is no reason why a glorified gasket set should be $20-$30. Check them out a Lyons Design Web Site