Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who SHAVES their tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Jul 7, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Has anyone here shaven their tires? I've heard of people doing it to the bigger 40+ size tires to get them 'round'. It supposedly does wonders to the ride quality and the life of the tire as well.
    Anyone have any info on it or experience?
    Is it expensive?
    How much is actually taken off?

I believe there was an article on it somewhere, but I can find it. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

My 72 came with shaved 42's. It rode really well. Now I have unbalanced, unshaved 42's, but they don't ride that much worse. Can't find out any place to get them shaved around here so I'm just going to have them balanced as best as possible.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I know that the mags did a writeup not too long ago about the "Truing" process. They went to a shop in the LA area (of course!) and used an Amerimac (?) brand truing machine to get the tires round while they were still mounted on the truck. Supposedly, it did wonders for the street manners, even on Swampers!

I'm still looking for a more "local" company that can do truing on LARGE tires. The only sources seem to be catering to small racecar stuff.....

If you find any shops, please post up!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

if you havent already, do a little searching in this forum or the 2nd gen k5 forum.. i remember someone had it done and they posted about it, I also remember them saying, They couldnt belive how much rubber was taken off.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i grooved mine and they ride much mo betta! increase off road performance too! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

swampers with road manners....who thinks up this stuff /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

-Scott

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had a set of 35 inch Regul Trail Blazer mud tires shaved in Dallas around 1980. A couple of them were pretty out of round. It made a HUGE difference in the highway ride. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    swampers with road manners....who thinks up this stuff /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

-Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

The King of Bling aka "The Greyhound"!!!!!

.......and BTW -> Roundness doesn't really mean "manners".... just better'n what I gots now!