Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who the frig pays for fast food with a credit card??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 2, 2007.

?

Who pays for junkfood with credit?

1. I do, I'm a broke college student, STFU Ratch

16 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Not me!

16 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. I do so I can build up my credit score

19 vote(s)
    26.0%
  4. I eat naked

29 vote(s)
    39.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I laughed when I finally understood what the guy at the drive through was asking me...

"Cash or charge?"

I don't think he's been in the U.S. that long... It came out like "crash your car", and this place was right next to where I rearended the minivan last month... I thought the SOB was mocking me...

:haha: :haha:

So who pays for this junk with a credit card??

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i do when i dont have cash on me, which is very rarely.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I pay for pretty damn near everything on my business Amex. I also pay it off completely every month.

You have to keep bank cards in mind too, you may be handing them a Visa card, but it's coming straight out of your checking and you don't pay interest on your own money.

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

That's what I meant.

6. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Its much easier to keep track of my money by using my Debit card. I can see my bank activity online, nearly real time. No more, "I had a $100. Where the hell did I spend it?!?"

7. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

That's about all they take anymore

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I htink it's old school, but I never buy something on credit that I can't still justify at the end of the cycle. I can't look at my CC statement and really believe I needed 7 cheeseburgers and couldn't pay with cash. If I can't buy something under $5 with cash, than I can probably live without it.

I don't like the idea of ______ knowing my buying habits, either. There's who knows how many instances of a person having their purchase history brought up in court for one reason or another. I don't think what I buy should be anyone's biz but my own and the sellers...

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I buy everything on our rewards card. We are going on vacation next month with the points :)

Of course - I never, ever pay interest to a CC company.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

well, dont do illegal stuff, and nobody will ever bring up your purchase history in court. :deal:

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I have a CC i max out/ pay off every month. Typicly i only use it for gas but theres always extra for food and whatnot. Anything over that and i am paying with my debit card. I RARELY carry more than $10 on me. Hell most of the time i DONT have any cash on me:crazy:

12. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

So here are some thoughts for you Ratch:

A: Business card, so I get to write off half of all meals (inlcuding my own)

B: Good rewards program, get airline miles, hotels etc.

C: I CAN pay for it with cash, but I'm married, so the cash stays in my pocket for the "under the radar gun fund";)

D: In the big scheme of things I am relatively unconcerned at who knows how many whoppers and fries I had, my wife already rode my ass about more than anyone else will probably care to. And I never buy guns or anything else I may worry about tracking (you know, duct tape, rope, machete, shovel, wife sized plastic bag, ticket to Brazil)

E: Again, paid every month in full so no interest accrued

So, in summary I guess I don't understand the hesitation to buy with a card if paid before interest accrues and it's something you can afford.

13. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Man, the credit debt pile gets deeper and deeper, and society makes you think its supposed to be normal.:eek1: :eek1:
    I got on the Dave Ramsey TMMO, and have been thankful to get hit with it, cuz it makes so much sense.:bow: :bow:

14. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

i use my visa check card everywhere, if they dont take that as a business, they're fooked, i dont carry cash..

15. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I will admit though, there are problems with this. There are many comsumers who wont pay it off right away it it will come back to fock em:o

16. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Its just too easy to whip out the debit card when you've goT the reigns of my little herd,

"welcome to Carls jr. can I take your order...?(me) Uhmm, yeah I'd like 15 cheese burgers, 3 large fries, 2 large onion rings,and 6 large lemonaids please. then 2 minute pause, then a confused sounding heavily spanish accented voice comes back and asks "sir, did you order 15 cheese burgers?" "Yes, I did, could you hurry please their mutinying in here!" "Excuse me sir....?
    "HERE IS YOUR 30 BUCKS, GIVE ME MY FOCKING ORDER, HEY, GIVE ME THAT GAWDAMM DART GUN! CAN YOU GIVE ME MY ORDER PLEASE....SH!T!"....

17. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I use a bank card at most places now... no credit cards, that's just stupid really... like someone else said, if it is under $5.00 I probably didn't need it.... but when you use your bank {Visa | MasterCard | etc} then it just comes out of your checking account and you can keep better track of it.

18. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Care to elaborate? :confused:

19. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: not me Ratch.thats like buying booze with a credit card...paying intrest on a buzz thats long gone.:haha:

20. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Definately a plus, but that's a ****load of nasty food you have to ingest for half of it all to add up to a decent writeoff. I'm talking McDonalds <$5 quickies here, not taking a client/employee for lunch, or spending more for lunch.
    1 <$5 meal a day = <$2.50 writeoff
    If you did that three times a week, you're barely scraping a $300 writeoff at the end of the year. If you eat it that much and that seems worth it, then have at it.
    Even if you don't do that much, if you can use it for a writeoff, go for it. For the 18 times a year I spend $2.17 at Burger King, I can't use that as a benefit. I'm actually kinda revolted to think I eat there that much... :eek1:

Good to have.
    See the poll option
    edit: sorry, I thought I had that as an option where I have the credit score thing. :doah:

I find it easier to go to an ATM and remove the cash at the beginning of the week, then use it for lunch through the week.
    If that works for you, you've answered my original question, no criticism from me for that.

That's a good point, it really doesn't matter who sees your purchase history for that kinda junk.
    But...A case that comes to mind is an individual that sued a local supermarket for something (probably frivolous, I think it was a poor maintenance issue creating a dangerous condition). They pulled up his purchase history, and found that he regularly bought a 12 pack a week. While this was not grounds for calling him a drunk, and really had no bearing on the case, but was manipulated and exploited, and colored him in the jury's mind. It probably ultimately contributed to him losing the case when it really had no place in it. When I read that they pulled up his history, I was literally outraged, cause it's no one's forking business what the guy's purchasing patterns were. Of course this is a double-edged sword; it would be great if every terrorist living in the U.S. would use a CC for everything and they started gearing up for war.

No one knows what tomorrow brings. If I was sued for my rear end crash a couple weeks ago, and her lawyer somehow found a way to pull up my purchase history on my CC card, what if he found my exhaust upgrade and tried to argue that my truck was not legal because of it or something convoluted?
    Whether I was right or wrong, if they put forth the allegation, I have to do the work to defend against it, when in my view, since it's all legal, it's really no one's business.
    Or suppose I had just purchased 2 12-packs of hard lemonade, and there was the possibility that I was an alcoholic, and maybe that's why I had such a stupid crash.
    I put ammo on my credit card last week (bank card actually). I didn't even think about it til I was walking out of the store, I'm on my way to work, there's a no-firearms policy at work, and while no one witnessed me there with a rifle, if it came up for some bizarre reason, the dots are there to be connected to cast the impression that I possibly had a firearm at work.

There's also targeted marketing, which is not a big deal, but annoys the crap outta me. When I had Capital One, I used to get hounded for related crap when I'd use the card, regardless of whether it's legal or not.
    I don't want my mailman to raising his eyebrow at me at me cause I bought condoms on my CC, and now I'm getting junkmail from STD pharmaceutical companies. :haha: :haha:

Do you track what you're putting on the card and matching it at the end of the month, or go over the itemized statement? You are a much more patient man than I if so... But aren't you a bit of a number cruncher for your biz anyway?

In your line of work, do you often see people who should steer clear of undisciplined credit card use? Isn't the stat like 1 in 20 people is over $8k in CC debt? I'm not in your line of work, so I'm not presuming to know the answer.
    I've had at least one friend (actually a family member I'm thinking of) look at their multi-page statement loaded with nickel and dime junk, and admit they have no hope of actually remembering what most of it is...Mostly gasoline and lunch. They're ripe for a fraud by a smart criminal.

The keystone of this is "paid before interest accrues and it's something you can afford."

The old-school logic I was referring to is generally that if you're buying it with a credit card, you can't pay for it right away. This is ignoring things like rewards, etc. Now for a blown tire and no spare on the side of the road, I'm all for it, whip out the plastic.
    I know every purchase on my CC and bank cards, and I've caught incorrect billing. Remember the walmart thing a couple years ago where they were double billing people's bank cards? People that buy nickel and dime stuff probably never noticed til they saw it on the news months later.

I make a few purchases on my CC every month, and they're always paid in full before the end of the cycle, except the last two months where I've had to patiently (read: frustratingly) whittle down a $400 balance because of a major purchase.

So, for me, I dont see the benefit of buying many things under $5 with a CC over cash. Maybe I'm a pessimist. Probably just lazy, though. :D