Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who thinks I can put '73 or newer front shafts in my '70

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aksidentproan, Jul 19, 2003.

1. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Who thinks I can put \'73 or newer front shafts in my \'70

I think(I know, its dangerous) I remember being told I could fit '73 and later axle shafts in my '70 Dana 44 with drum brakes. I also think I was told the first gens had smaller U-joints then the second gens. I'm thinking so much because I am about to order a set of warn shafts but I would like to make sure I've got all the facts straight. So my question is, will the later model shafts fit? Feel free to clear up anything I have thought wrong. Thanks alot guys.

Evan

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: Who thinks I can put \'73 or newer front shafts in my \'70

Evan,

The details are fuzzy to me, but the deal with the u-joint has to do with 2 different styles of wheel spindles. The second-design supports the use of the later style (larger) u-joint.

I know it's possible to convert the outers to the late-style u-joint and spindle, so maybe once you do that the "inners" will work too???? I have no real idea, just talking out loud, I guess...... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Send a PM to RyanB....I know he did the conversion on the outers of his '71. He might have the rest of the details you need.

Good Luck.

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Wes, ThatK30Guy, has all the info on Dana 44shafts, spindles, etc. You could PM for his long list or search for it as it gets posted every few months or so

4. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

Here is some good Dana 44 reading.
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=garage&Number=630383&fpart=&PHPSESSID=
    Might clear up some things for ya. On a side note, I once was converting a 70 open knuckle to disc. After looking over a front end from a 77 you could plainly see that they have alot more beef in areas. For instance the axle tubes themselves are larger round, as well as the spindles. Rather then doing this again to my 68, I just went and bought a complete front axle. That way there was no mixmatch of part years and I was able to go up in strength. But there are others that will be able to fill ya in better on this subject.

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Can't answer as far as the drum brakes go...however i did this conversion a few months back on my father in laws 71 K5....used donor hubs and spindles from a parts 78 K5 i have in the back yard and a set of 73 up dana 44 axle shafts...works like a charm...

DW