Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who tows with a 2500Hd with a 6.0?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by zcarczar, Sep 22, 2004.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Im looking into getting one and would like to know how well they tow a blazer around.

2. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

il go you one better i have a 6.0 hd and the only thing ive pulled so far is to crew cab with 7.3 tdi it did great felt srtong and i didnt go down the high way so the speed was bout 50 tops i was close to town just make sure you have plenty of tounge weight long story alot learned my truck has 4.10s and is a xtra cab short bed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had one. It did ok. It could pull in OD on flat ground and slight inclines just fine.

Hills would downshift to 2nd and run at 4-5k RPM. Seemed to do fine, but would tach high on hills.

I would not hesitate to tow my blazer with one again.

John

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have an '03 2500HD SB/CC with the 6.0L/auto/4.10 gear setup. I think it does just fine towing my 8,500 lb. Blazer and trailer combo and has never had a problem maintaining (or exceeding) the speed limit.

Now granted, we don't have any moutains in Ohio but the Eastern and Southern parts of the state get pretty hilly. On I-70 heading into a 10 mph head wind I had no problem maintaining 75 mph with the cruise control on with the trans shifting out of OD and into 3rd on most hills (no big deal). This was with two guys (about 450 lbs. total), firewood, food, and camping gear for a long weekend, and the Blazer on the trailer. For comparison, my buddy was driving his Wrangler with a swapped in and modified 4.0L HO, 4.10 gears w/ 33" tires, and he had to downshift from 5th to 4th to maintain speeds on the same grade with just him, his wife, and normal trail gear in it.

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

My friend has an '03 2500 HD with a 6.0 and a 5 speed manual. It tows real well. On dry dirt it pulls stuck trucks out real well, but in mud it's frame is it's enemy. He has 31X12.50R-16 SSR's on it. He burnt a clutch at 28,000 miles, but he is extremely abusive. The first day he got the truck we went wheelin' and he had it stuck. It was high centered on the frame, no tires were on the ground.

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Well I towed with the truck it tows fine so I decided to purchase it. Now I just need to find a trailer of my own, I used my dad's trailer which tows bitchin too.

7. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I have an 02 HD1500 crew with the 6.0, I have pulled my K5 up the 4 lane from Tollhouse to Shaver several times. Not too bad I have 3:73's it would do alot better with the 4:10's If I leave it in 1st I will just cruise at 35 @ or hammer down it does the 1st to 50-53 upshift, downshift at 30 thing. Not real sure what the grade is but its a good one. I pull my 25' toy hauler to Pismo up Questa about the same with somewhere around 9500#s.