Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who uses a 7,000lb trailer to tow their fullsize

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Hardcore, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Looking at trailers and there is a big difference in price between the 7,000 trailers and the 10,000 "equipment trailers".
    Looking at a 7,000lb , 16' car hauling trailer that weighs about 1750 lbs, has brakes on both axles. This leaves about 5,250 for my K5. Wondering if I'm pushing it.

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I know people who do it, but a 7k trailer is on the light side for a K5 and there is a good chance you will be over the limit in regards to payload on the trailer....if not over you will be right at the max.

Most trailer places offer upgrades to the standard 7k trailer that includes the bigger axles and a bigger frame if needed (a lot of trailers I looked at were limited by the axles, not the frame). This is sometimes only a few hunderd $$ more.

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

You might be fine but I would go with the 10k which means it will have a 2 15/16 ball. If you could swing go with the 20ft trailer. I wish that I would have.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

easy answer. buy it one time and be done with it. never need to say i should have gotten bigger. i made this mistake. my deck is to short. now i need to make it 4 ft longer and dove tail it.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i second this one... i think my 32 foot goose neck is too short, but its not a big deal really. to me i should have goetten the 40 footer, and once i got it i would say it was to short as well. one option i should have done and HATE not doing is electric jacks.
    Grant

6. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought a 18' bumper pull ( dual axle brakes, dovetail, 5" channel) to haul my John Deere 4600 tractor. Turns out it hauls my K truck very well. Its rated for 7K, and yeah its probably at its limit but it has pulled my rig as far as Jellico and back without a problem. The thing is my tractor with loader and rear attachment hooked up easily weighs as much as my trail rig, heck if it will pull the JD it will pull my truck. With the new towrig now, eventually I hope to get me a gooseneck setup later on.

Clay

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would definantly say a 7K trailer is doable. I would go with an 18' though, My K5 was fairly close to the rear of the trailer on my 17'. You have to remember there should be at least a 10% tongue weight. That 5,250lbs that you have for your K5...525lbs of that will be on the pickup. That makes a big difference. If you don't bring your kitchen with you like some folks for an outing than all of your stuff should fit in the pickup anyway.

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I can get some pics if there is any interest. I tow my '79 K10 with 125" wheelbase and 8" lift on 44" tires which weighs around 6400 lbs on a 20' gooseneck trailer with dual 3500 lb axles. The front axle has electric brakes. I did a spring over on the trailer and the height is just right for my 2000 Ram 2500 with the Cummins. Even though I'm technically just over the capacity of my trailer axles, I'm using 2500 lb rated tires and it's really nice to have a trailer that weighs around 1700 lbs. For comparison, my friend's 25' deckover gooseneck with 5K lb axles weighs 4500 lbs...before he added the winch, air compressor, toolbox, etc. I welded 15,000 lb rated D-rings from Tractor Supply on each corner for easier tie down as well as safer and more secure attachment points.

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have pulled my K5 with my fathers 20ft 7700lb trailer. His has the surge brakes which I am not real fond of, but it works good. We did alot of trailer searching before he bought this one though and it was the most heavy built trailer we could find in the size range. It also has a 2 5/16" ball....

It's made by Performance.

10. ryanstrucking

ryanstrucking 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I tow my K5 on a 16' with 3500lb axles .......
    Not the best for the axles concidering my truck weighs some where around 6000lbs But it halls it without a problem. Thank god I don't have to run over the scales around here.
    Looking to upgrade to a 30' gooseneck this year.
    Heres a pic from last July on my way out to the White Knight Gathering.
    And another on a day trip out with a couple buddys

wheelin 194.jpg

wheelin 193.jpg

wheelin 021.jpg