Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who Uses A Laptop?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by behemoth, Dec 23, 2004.

1. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Just received my new Gateway M675 17" screen laptop. (well ... 2 days ago - had to tweak it first). Had 512 mb ram installed and got the 3.0 gig processor -P4. This thing screams - even on dial-up!! I'm on the road now traveling home for Christmas (actually in a hotel room) - but this is really cool being on the road and being able to surf CK5 !!

Who else uses a laptop and travels?

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I finally got one about a year ago and couldn't be happier. I have a wireless internet router at home so I can surf the web anywhere around the house:grin: It's tight! When I go away with the military I take it with me, portable DVD player:)

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've been using a laptop since 1994 or so. My first was a DEC 320p with a screaming 20 MHz 386SX processor, 16 MB of RAM, 80 MB hard drive, a tiny monochrome display (blue!), and a 2400 baud modem built in. :yikes: I used to travel just about every week, so a laptop was a requirement of the job. :) My latest is a poky 266 MHz PII, 256 MB, and a 6 GB drive. I've been watching the Sunday papers for a screaming deal on a faster one...

4. HarryH3

Oh yeah, I just placed my order for DSL and a wireless router last night! :xmas:

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:thumb: I'm surfing on a 2.6ghz/512mb/40gb Sony Vaio right now. I used to really love these Vaio's, but this one is really not handling it's last 8 months of life well. My last Vaio was just about flawless when I was done with it after a year, this piece of junk has wear on the lid corners, the palm rest, the keys, and has an overall loose feeling to it.
    Now I'm getting into IBM Thinkpads, super-tough little buggers, although they look way expensive...

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

It's been a requirement of my job for the lst few years (pos compaq). I also have one at home (Dell 1.6 ghz, 512 MB RAM, 20 gig HD, R/WR CD, DVD) We have a wireless network set up at home. I can sit on the back deck in the sun a surf the web. It's cool. We also take it when we go on trips because most hotels now have free wireless access. We have a portable DVD player for the burb when we go on road trips, but sometimes the kids want to watch 2 different movies, so it makes it easier there too. I have an auto adapter for it, but I'll be wiring in a GOOD power inverter soon.

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'm using about the same system as you right now except I have a 2.8 ghz processor. I'm pretty happy with this one so far. Been using it for a good six months. Can't complain. Only wear I see so far is some of the letters coming off the keys. My hinge is real tight. You have to hold the bottom down to open it. Sometimes I have mine out in the shop with me. Wireless routers kick arse.

8. HarryH3

I recently read that the Sony PC's are rated dead last on reliability. :( I thought that they would take over the PC market once it became commoditzed. But it seems that their quality has really slipped over the years.

As for the ThinkPad, ya better get one soon. IBM is selling their entire PC division to a company in China so you can bet that some "value engineering" will creep into the designs. :mad:

9. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

My wife just got me a Gateway 520X Plus for X-mas :xmas: , TruBrite Active Screen...SWEET:D , 512 ram, 100gb hard drive, 64 meg Video, DVD/CD burner and such.... I'll be using it while I'm out here on San Nicolas Isalnd (Military Island).....

10. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I just picked up (2) Compaq Armada 500's for $200 each. Both have Win 2K & I installed Office 2000 Pro. Both have 256 ram w/ 700 mHz. Had 10 GB & 20 GB HDs. I upgraded the 10 to a 40 for another $100. Both also came with wireless cards, dual batteries, DVD-rom, and floppy.

In Jan/Feb, I plan on putting a laptop mount in my company truck to be able to use mine on the road. Gonna hardwaire a 500 watt inverter and then also run a printer in the back seat.

BTW, my daughter's getting the other laptop for Christmas:xmas:

11. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Yup, wireless dell here. Its nice to be able to roam the house while surfing the net, plus is handy to take with on trips and vacations.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'm working on my daughters Dell latitude now. She has been away at school using it and not keeping up on the maint.:mad: Grrrrrr The damn thing is infested with spyware viruses and other junk she gits off the web without using a firewall. Sigh. Oh well. Update the virus scan, Adaware, clean out the registry, and the thing will be as good as new.:thumb: At least it still works (barely)

Sure like wireless! I'm Sitting in my recliner with a good cup O coffee, surfing with my Dell latitude and fixing my daughters laptop at the same time. Ahhh Life is good !

13. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

yep just finished setting up the laptop that I got for christmas, hehe. It is so fun getting cable *wireless* internet for free. Thank you neighboor.

Remington

14. HarryH3

I'd also recommend that you install a great piece of freeware, Zone Alarm. Check it out at www.zonelabs.com It's a personal firewall that can keep a lot of junk off your system. :xmas:

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Thanks Harry! Downloaded and installed. Got this thing up and running great. Couldn't even connect to the net when I started.

Zone alarm will work great for her great cuz she is always using Wi Fi on unprotected networks and who knows what. Laptops are great but I guess their mobility can sure make them a easy target If not protected.
    My firewall at home is bullet proof. I never really have any problems on my network. I guess where she was living and there was little or no protection.

16. HarryH3

I've just been using Zone Alarm for a few weeks and it reports that it has already blocked 552 intrusion attempts. :eek1: Considering that I'm only online when I dial in I think that's pretty impressive. It should be interesting to see what it says after I'm on DSL 24x7! Perhaps the hardware firewall will help keep some of the crap at bay, but I plan to keep Zone Alarm running as well. :cool1:

17. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah.I have DSL. I have my firewall set up to log all attacks. It seems like someone is always trying to get in. I guess were not in Kansas anymore:D

18. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Harry,

I did this download & it detected several; however, it wouldn't remove any unless I paid. Was I doing this wrong or do I need to go & buy a spyware program? Thanks

19. HarryH3

Sounds like you installed Zone Alarm Pro. I just use their free firewall, not the full suite. I use Spybot Search and Destroy, and AdAware for spyware duties. (Both freebies).

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

i've been using Zone Alarm for 4 years now, the last three years with cable internet. Just since my latest reformat 2 months ago it's blocked 140,000 intrusions, 14,000 of which it considered to be dangerous. I also use Spybot, Adaware and AVG online anti-virus (the new version) It's all freeware and it all works pretty damn good.

There are no safe zones on the web anymore, and I've had AVG tell me I just got hit with a virus while surfing even the most innocuous sites.

Laptops are cool, but they've been linked to male fertility problems. Apparently if you actually use them on your lap they help increase testicular temps which inhibit's fertility just like wearing whitey-tighty's does. So if you have a laptop and are trying for kids keep the laptop on the desk. :D

Rene