Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who uses the protection plate for the trans/flywheel?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wy4tt, Apr 23, 2005.

1. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

I swapped out the TH350 on the Jimmy, and the new one I got didn't have the holes drilled for the original protection plate that covers the bottom of the bellhousing/flywheel. The few offroaders that I've talked to don't use them and said it wasn't necessary. What do you guys think? Should I drill some holes and reinstall the shield?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I use them and think it is neccessary. If you swamp the rig yeah it could get messy in there but if you don't have the cover its certain to be messy. Id on't know about you but I don't like the idea of mud and water squished all over the front pump seal. Also the thicker aluminum covers can add to structural integrity of the case.

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Use them. It keeps the crap out.

4. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

If it is the big aluminum cover, that actually helps keep from cracking the bellhousing.

Dan

5. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I haven't ran mine in a few years. Just never put it back on for some reason. I had the plastic one on mine when I bought it. Going to put it back on this week though as my O2 sensor wire is a little too close for my comfort. One thing hits it and will surely throw it into the convertor.

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

If you want one I have a few fer sale. PM me if you're interested. They are the heavy cast aluminum ones.

7. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

I am converting fron a th350 to a 400 and after reading this I thought I had everything. I forgot the flywheel/converter cover. Are these heavy aluminum ones aftermarket?

8. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Nope factory ones.

9. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. Guess I'll go ahead and tap some holes (the t350 core I got rebuilt was off a 2wd and guess they didn't have holes there). I have the alum cover from the orig, so I'm set there. It does look awfully open right now! Need to sandblast it and put some Hammerite on it. I love that stuff. Thanks again!

10. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

I ran without one on my old th350 and cracked the housing. I don't know if that was the reason but I run one now.

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the cover might no fit correctly with the 2x4 case for the holes. and 350 -400 are same cover for the swap. and all my trucks use them.

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

my rule of thumb on this one is:

if it had struts and aluminum cover then yes run it(77-up)

gm put struts on them for some reason i guess to reduce vertical downwards stress on front of tranny case,, even with support under t case,,, wierd.. you would thnk that would be plenty suppport..

if no struts(76 older and especially 72 older iron ones) then dont, unless you drive where mud and water is at,

i never run any dust shield covers on anything but then i dont have 4x4 or s-series 2wd strut kinds to drive, never have..

ive had cars with plastic shields, and mainly all 2wd trucks from the 80s and back to into the 60s, and i never run the shields on them, i always remove them it is one of the first mods i do to them when i first get them, i dont have a sheild on the 84 c-10 3 speed or the 72 dually c-30 465 and tey are staying that way and i wont have any trouble ever out of either, just like all the others in the past, auto or manual,

i toss them or sell them all and leave them open and never had a lick of trouble with any ever at all. no water no dirt no anything issues.,

everyone will have an opinion on this one, it may be funny

i say if with struts then leave it on, if not then remove it unless mud or water driving conditions,

so if your th350 doesnt run struts then id say screw it, no worries,

good luck

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I use them all. I think it was missing on one of my vehicles, and nothing ever came of it, but I would recommend it.

14. TucsonK5

TucsonK5 1/2 ton status

I always ran one after destroying my front input shaft seal on my TH350 (and subsequently frying the tranny). My 72 K5 never had one before that, but my tranny builder said it probably would have prevented it.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Basically listen to everyone else and not R72K5

The reason the transfer case mount doesn't help the trans much is that the transfer case is hanging off the back of the adapter(leverage) and pulling down on the transmission, 24/7/365.

16. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have a stick, but still, i didnt have one and regretted it. Mud, water and everyhitng else got up there. Id run one.