Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who wants to help a poor teacher out?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by juanblzer, Mar 10, 2004.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Alright,
    My grandpa's old work truck is sitting in phoenix waiting to come to my home in prescott. I'm going to be working on it starting next monday but I'm pretty new to auto mech and I can spare free cold beverages to anyone that helps. It's sitting at my dad's house in North Scottsdale and here are the stats:
    1970 c-10 (I plan on prerunnering this not hotrodding it)
    350-t350 no power steering or power brakes (all manual)and its been sitting an awful while. I need to get it running so I can register it get it up here for rainy days and part runs.

Everything ran before it was parked and I think it might just be adjusting the single barrel carb and linkages. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I don't need a tow to prescott, I already got that covered. Hell, I might just drive it up.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Pour a little marvel mystery oil down the spark plug holes ( not much per hole ) before you crank it if its been sitting awhile. Also drain the oil, and pour the new oil in with the valve covers off a little each side slowly to get some oil on valvetrain. Then try to start it. Hope it helps. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

The only other couple of things I could add to Paul is let the Marvel oil set in overnight and pour more than a little as you want it to penetrate all the way around the rings so that any rust is released. Also, put some new gas in the thing if it's been more than a couple of years since it ran. I resurrected an engine that had been settin for more than 8 years once by doin this. If you're lucky, then the critter won't have to many leaks upon firin it back up and you can run it for a while and see what it'll do. Oh by the way, if it starts to rev real high on ya shut it off quick before the motor seizes. If I think of anythin else I'll let ya know. Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

4. FWP

FWP CRS

You know I'll help you bud! Remember- full strength budweiser /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif...

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Fred is a bud "heavy" man.
    Check the vacume to the tranny also. It should be mostly steel but where it connects will have rotted rubber. That creates a horrible leak in the system.

6. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    Fred is a bud "heavy" man.

[/ QUOTE ]

I resemble that remark /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Juan, bring that truck over to my place when you get it up here, and we'll make it come alive /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Sounds awesome. Mystic Oil? Where do I find such a product? So all I have to remove is the valve covers eh? Not the intake? New plugs? New cap? New plug wires? Any other tips. As soon as I get it to Prescott Valley, I'll bring it by so you can laugh at me Fred.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I would tend to want to check out the ignition system before replacing stuff, depending on the condition and maintenance before parking. Of course if I wanted to just hit it and go with it with the least hassle, then I would just replace all the typical parts right off (cap, points, condenser, wires, plugs). If it's been setting for terribly long, and I thought the motor was still pretty good and I planned to run it for a while, I might even pull the distributor and manually prime with oil (stick a pump drive down to the pump and turn with a hand drill). Oil in the cylinders is good too if it's been setting long. Put a fair amount in each cylinder, remember, it takes a bit to fill it enough to get to the top of the piston setting on an angle. Let that sit a while, then turn over the motor with the plugs out. Put towels/carpet in front of the plug holes to reduce the mess. I would probably change oil too. But on all of this, if I were you, I would prefer to look at the truck first to figure out what it really needs if you have the time an opportunity...

As for help, I seem to be in the “not enough hours in the day” mode lately. Heck, my truggy is still not even back together from Armageddon. <sigh> But if you get in a bind, let me know and I’ll help what I can.

9. justhorsinaround

You can get Marvel Mystery Oil at any Checker, Autozone, Pep Boys.......Charlies Corner Auto Parts Store.....you get the idea. It comes in a red and black colored can. Again good luck to ya in the future.

Allan

10. justhorsinaround

How'd this turn out by the way? Got to thinkin about it this afternoon. Tossin around the thought of resurrectin an old Corvair I have and it led me down the trail to you.

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan

11. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

"Grandpa's Truck" runs finally. Used the Marvel oil and it started right up. Needed Brakes but that is all taken care of. Now to get it registered (Orange County, CA purges the system and my grandpa's truck has been sitting for a while unregistered and such). NOw to swap on some 80's 2wd front end stuff and get power steering and brakes, patch the rust, prerunner lift, tube bumpers, fiberglass fenders, cage, guages, 37 inch tires ...

12. justhorsinaround

Well cool beans I'm glad things are workin out for ya. Might just have to get my butt in gear and resurrect my old beast.

Good luck to y'all in the future.

Allan