Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who wants to teach me about hydraulic bump stops.....?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

So what's the deal......

I am starting to see them more and more (on show trucks at SEMA, etc) so it's just a matter of time before absolutely EVERYONE installs them. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

To my understanding, this came from the desert racing folks. My best guess is that it allows for a more gentle "bottoming out" of the suspension than a standard rubber bumper? It still seems like once it's bottomed (hydraulic or mechanical) it's still going to slam the driver pretty hard???

Anyone want to take a crack at answering this one? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So what's the deal......

I am starting to see them more and more (on show trucks at SEMA, etc) so it's just a matter of time before absolutely EVERYONE installs them. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

To my understanding, this came from the desert racing folks. My best guess is that it allows for a more gentle "bottoming out" of the suspension than a standard rubber bumper? It still seems like once it's bottomed (hydraulic or mechanical) it's still going to slam the driver pretty hard???

Anyone want to take a crack at answering this one? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Las t I read on them ( I haven't felt the need to have one) is that they are like you said except they are progressive so before bottoming out they become harder.
    Plus if you want to put it this way, there is always something stronnger or bigger or better.
    It's liek you and the D60, after you exceed the strength of those shafts with bigger tires, you will break them, but you still chenged from a D44 to D60 right.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Peterson's installed them on thier Dodge Prerunner about 3-4 issues back and said something to the extent of "...they soak up the jumps great, but once you bottom them out, it's a pretty harsh jolt..."

I think that they are cool but aren't very crutial part of a suspension of a rock crawler like this :
    [​IMG]

Now I can't tell from this picture but it seems that it is almost limiting the up travel in the front...

4. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

We use them in Off-road racing where not restricted by class rules. They are very progressive and decelerate the upward travel of the wheel in the last several inches of travel, depending on the length of the stop. They greatly reduce the impact felt on really hard hits. Once the bump is bottomed out it's just a final "hard stop" but the impact is far less harsh than it would have been with out the bump stop. The same thing can be accomplished with properly designed by-pass shocks. They are intended for use in high speed (wheel up-travel speed) impacts, and don't make any since to me in crawling applications. I have never figured out why I have seen them on rigs like that Jeep where they do limit up travel.

5. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They're usually used as kind of like a third spring for coilovers. The last two-three-four inches you use a hydraulic bump stop which is nothing more than a glorified hydraulic cylinder with a piece of metal with a hole in it for a restrictor plate. Of course, it's been 3-4 years since I've seen them. I've only seen them on sandrails, they probably crossed into desert racing.

Oldschool sandrail bumpstops from when I was a kid were industrial hydraulic stops retrofitted onto sandrails. I guess someone out there went and got smart and started selling $60 equipment for $250.

SEMA is all about the bling. If it weren't for SEMA companies like APC wouldn't exist.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    SEMA is all about the bling. If it weren't for SEMA companies like APC wouldn't exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

SEMA rocks. If it wasn't for rice punks that don't care if they get a quality product or total crap, companies like APC would go belly up.

7. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

If anything, could they be used to slow down the travel so that the buggy has more controled movement instead of bouncy around like a spider monkey on crystal meth /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif