Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who wants to trade me tires? need smaller ones!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 75K5, Mar 14, 2001.

1. 75K5

75K5 1/2 ton status

okay here's the deal. I just bought a 75K5 Blazer. It is going to be shipped from California to my home in Missouri. The blazer has a 4" Lift and 35" tires. This is WAY to much for my city driving. I am going to remove the lift, and trade the tires.

I don't know the condition or brand of the tires yet, but in the deal, they are sending me 3 35" spare tires. So total, I will have 7 35" tires. I am not sure if the 3 are the same brand or not.

make me an offer on the tires, or trade me for some smaller ones I can use in the city. I do not plan on 4 wheeling all day long with this... maybe once a month at most.

While I have everyone's attention, what's the easiest way to remove the lift? This is my first SUV, and first Chevy... so I'm totally new to this.

I'll have the truck in 14-18 days, so the tires will be ready to ship then. e-mail me if intrested

Thanks,
    Brian Herron
    bjherron@telocity.com

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

WTF?!!! Remove the lift?!! Keep the lift cause after you have the blazer for a while, you'll want to lift it...trust me! Removing the lift will cost more that putting a lift on. A new lift is around $500. Get some 33's on it. It'll be fine for driving in the city.

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

if i wasn't in ohio i'd try and set something up with ya.
    as far as removing the lift, you will have to buy/find/trade for the stock front springs, the springs on it now are 4" higher, and for the rear if there are lift BLOCKS then just pop them out and use shorter u-bolts. if there are no blocks in the rear then you will have to do the same as in the front. also you may need a stock steering arm and smaller shocks too.
    i'd leave the lift on and just drop down to 33" tires, it will be fine for day-to-day driving......
    peace.
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com>http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com</A>

4. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

If it only has a 4" and no body lift i would just go down to 33" All terrains.It will looks nice with 33's and would be fine for city driving. Also, what is the axle ratio?

P.S. The word SUV is considered the mother of all bad words around here:)

One From None

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'll send you an email, It looks like I may have a good set of 31" BFG A/T's These tires are plenty good highway and will fit a truck without a lift no prob. If it were me and I was in you shoes, I would consider perhaps doing a 33" BFG A/T. It will ride well and give you little problems. Either way, I'll email ya.

Kyle
    89K5

6. Topher

Topher Registered Member

75K5 - IMO, if you can afford to buy a K5 in CA AND have it shipped to MO then you ought to be able to find a plethora of fine stockers between those two states for a satisfactory price. But daily-driving a 4" w/ 35's isn't all that bad (w/ 33's it wouldn't be that much different feeling that stock...at least it wasn't for me).

I agree with these guys in that it would be more of a hassle to bring that thing to back stock not to mention if the driveshaft(s) were already modified for the lift you'll have to shorten them again. Plus the cost of possibly re-gearing the axles (if they were re-geared for the 35's) if you go to a much smaller tire.

This is almost like a taboo subject, lol!

Chris

7. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I got 35's and 4" lift w/3 body.. I do fine... I drove 10,000 miles oin the last 3.5 months of city driving... I love it... I can look over cars that try to turn in forn of me...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

8. 75K5

75K5 1/2 ton status

not that easy to find...

well, you would think so... but finding one in good condition is not easy. I had to have a 75 blazer for a particular reason... so I couldn't just buy any year. And finding one with no rust, 4 wheel drive, good interior, and a straight body was not easy at all. I think I have been looking for about 6 months. This one came along for $1400, and is the best one I have seen in a long time. Shipping was cheap, so the whole deal cost me around $2K.

sorry if you guys disagree with what I am doing. I didn't buy this to go out 4 wheeling, but for somthing else (and no it won't be a low rider). This will be restored in the near future, and finding one with hardly any rust or damage is much easier than buying a rust bucket.
    I come from Ford's and have done a lot of repairs/rebuilds on that line... so now it's my turn to try out a bowtie.

The stock tires and stock springs are just to make the truck drivable for a month or two. Right now, the K5 won't even fit in my parking garage at work. A little after may, I am going to tear the whole vehicle down, do a frame off restoration, retrofit a dash/interior from a 99+ subourban, add a hydraulic 5 speed manual trans, setup varilable height air suspension, and build a wicked 350EFI.

[​IMG]

9. 78Blazer

78Blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: not that easy to find...

I will trade if the tires are decent. I have a set of bfg 32s A/t I also have some 31s both sets are in good shape. I would even give ya the stock front springs off from my k5 so you would have them to lower yours. I would even deliver them so there would not be no shipping costs involved.

Scott
    78blazer<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 78blazer on 03/14/01 03:56 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

10. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have a good set of stock front springs for you and a stock steering arm and rear and front stock u-bolts. Everything you need to put it back to stock. I just took everything out to put on a 4 in. lift. I aggree with every body else thou. In a few months you are going to want to lift it. I also have a set of BFG Allterrians 32x11.50x15. If you are interested. I do not need any other tires right know. Let me now if you are interested .

Become one with nature............Then marinate it...

11. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

welL i live in Ca and am parting out a 75 I have everything front and rear.

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

MAN THAT'S A SWEET 75! Really before you lower it check the gear ratio. If it's been corrected for the tire size your going to get as good of economy as you will lowered. Go find a stock K5 and park next to it. You will decide to keep the lift. That's a tough looking truck and got the right wheels. Your also looking a costly swap back to stock and like others said. 4 inches is a mild lift for a K5. Yeah it's a step up but you will get use to it. If it has good springs on it it probably rides as good if not better than a stock truck on stock springs. My lifted 75 rides better than my wifes 79 stocker except for my beat up rims and tires. One thing you may want to check into is therear springs. GM put a really stiff rear spring in the older trucks. The springs from the regular duty 84 up are a much better ride. That or go with some aftemarket lift rear springs and loose the lift blocks.
    Looks like BFG MT's on the truck. GOOD tire. For a Mud tire that's about as quiet as it get's. Regardless it's still a mud tire and it does make the truck handle different that at A/T tire. I highly recomend the BFG A/T's. Very good tire for the street. Does pretty good offroad. The MT will still far excell offroad though.
    Now I recomend 2 products for any lifted K5. The first being the ORD steering brace. BIG improvment both on the street and on the trail. The second is ORD disconnects. All Lifted solid axle GM trucks get a nasty bump steer when lifted and most of it is from the sway bar being at an angle. The ORD Dissconnects will cure those issues. http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/