Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who wheels with small kids

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CrewCab59, Jun 21, 2006.

1. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

Who wheels with small kids that are still in there car seats?

1) How do you tie down the car seat?
    2) has anybody rolled ?

just some general thoughts?

Thanks

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I intend to but haven't done it myself yet...

I've been out with Dibble several times and he takes his boy everywhere. Nick is probably 8~10 now but when he was younger he always had him in a racing seat with a 4/5 point harness (still does, of course). He ALWAYS makes Nick where a helmet.

Edit: anytime Dan is going to do anything really "hardcore" he makes him get out and watch from the sidelines.

3. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have taken my 2 year old. The factory seatbelt holds his car seat. The terrain is moderate a roll or even a flop is very unlikely.

4. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I got a new seat and a full cage before I would even let my child in the truck...I will go camping etc... with her, but not wheeling, until she is a little older. Maybe a fire road, but not hill climbs...

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

6. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

we wheel with our 15month old, Thank God there have been no rollovers! But we have been seriously off camber. /the car seat holds just fine at the moment. But I am looking into one of those 4or 5 pt harness setups plus I am doing roll bars and eventually a cage. Rule is if you have to ask if its safe its probably not. That is the time kids and mom get out or you and kid gets out. Or you pull out if you can. We wheel hard but now a days there are some spots I find myself backing out of that I never would have be for or atleast I am checking every angle. God Bless and good luck

7. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

OK, just a little more...I bought a car seat for bigger kids as opposed to using a booster seat. My daughter is four and she gets strapped into her seat and then the seat gets strapped to the rear seat in the Blazer, square in the middle...Even then, I don't really go wheeling, just cruise around. To TDAWG1's point, if I feel the urge to jam up a hill or whatever, I would just ask everybody to get out...

IMG_2746.JPG

8. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

i use the simpson child car seat. my daughter is also 4 now and it is a 5 point harness set up. strapped in by the factory seat belts for now.

9. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I went memorial weekend with my girlfriend and her 2 kids (the kids are 18months and 4-1/2 years) and we put Caity in her car seat held in with the factory belt in the rear and we put Nathan in his booster seat in the front just with the reg 3-pont factory belt. It was MILD wheeling. Well not even rally wheeling, I needed 4wd only one time...so there was no fear of rolling. I don't take the kids on trails where there is a danger of rolling...

Chris

10. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

I bet everybody on the sidelines get's out of Dan's way:haha:

11. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

The biggest thing is the wife she just freaks out ,but that's another story.I'm just trying to get out doors and do some wheeling with the family.

Thanks for your guy's input.

CrewCab59

12. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

we have wheeled with our little once since he was 8 months old.well actualy the mrs was wheeling up to 2 weeks before he was born. he has 5 ponint harness in his car seat.if it is a rough trail we put a towel around his neck to support his head when he is sleeping. he will be 2 in sept.its a family sport so the whole family usualy goes unless i know the trail is going to too far from medical care -we are going 50-100 miles off hyw-then the little one stays with a sitter

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I just used a quality car seat strapped in tightly with the stock center seat belt. Make sure you have the car seat straps adjusted properly. A top, hard or soft, is a good idea to keep branches from hitting the little ones.

A funny story:
    When my oldest was about 4 she went to daycare for about 3 hrs a day during the week. Each Monday they were asked what they did over the weekend. My daughter says "We slept under daddy's truck. Then we drove in the woods, and tree hit the window. The glass exploded but I didn't get hurt because it was safety glass. Then we had a picnic on top of a mountain" Well, the teacher tells me Jessica is making up stories and then tells me what she said. You should have seen her face when I said "That's pretty much how it happened".

14. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

I've wheeled with my older since he was 3. Anything too off camber or chance of rolling he watches from the side lines. If he wants to stay in the truck I tell him he's my spotter and it's an important job. The worst problem I've had is keeping his head up when he falls asleep on the back roads on the way to the trails and his head is bouncing. I have to drive with one hand on his forehead and the other steering. When you reach the trail and it gets fun he wakes up.

DO IT. KIDS LOVE WHEELIN .Just keep it tame while their in your rig.

15. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

i have been taking my son on easy trails since he was 2. nothing with a chance of rolling. he loves to drive through big puddles and mud. he gets upset when he see's the truck is muddy and he wasn't there. he even points and laughs at jeeps that get stuck. i do bring him with me when i get the call that someone is stuck.

16. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

never thought of the ratchet strap idea... I just put my 6 year old in his booster seat.... I ripped open the seatbelt.....use a screw driver and manually tighten the seatbelt and when it gets tight it locks in place and wont release...... unless you hit the button.....

I do not do terrain where rollovers are likely... mostly mud and sand trails....
    funny pic i have
    [​IMG]

now click this one... and save it locally and use some software to zoom in on the passenger.....

http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/272649/original/RootBreaker12.jpg

17. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

We do but very moderate terrain, no chance of roll over unless we run completely off the road.
    Use the factory belts.

18. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

:laugh:

whan I was a young supersize75k5

my dad had a 81 jimmy and he put a car seat in place of a center console and bolted it down, I oviously dont remember it, but I survived so it cant have been too bad..

19. nemesis_pyros

nemesis_pyros 1/2 ton status

When I was a kid my Dad used to strap the car seat to the rack on one of the 3 wheelers we had. That trike is almost as old as I am and I still drive it to this day. It could possibly be the reason I'm into all this offroading stuff.