Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who would be interested in a set of thick 5.13 gears for a Dana 60? *poll*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Aug 17, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I thought this was an interesting subject, enough so that I asked the rep from Precision Gear at Real Truck Challenge why they don't make a set of thick 5.13s for a Dana 60 front.

I don't know about you guys, but considering how many of us run 14 bolts in the rear with 5.13 being the max ratio available (and most of us running thick gearsets) I was curious as to why there is no offering for a thick set of 5.13s in the front.

I currently am running the gears that came in my Dana 60, 4.10 GM OE with a lockright locker up front. I am perfectly happy with my lockright although I know it's not as strong as a full carrier detroit locker, I didn't want to change ratios at this time as I didn't have the money, I just wanted to install a locker.

At this time, if I want to change ratios, I have got to change carriers, and if I want to keep my lockright, I've got to actually spent money to acquire a 4.56 up Dana 60 open carrier which I think is kinda stupid to spend cash money on just an open carrier. My other option is to use a spacer, which I know some of you guys have done sucessfully but I just don't like that entire idea. If I am going to buy a carrier, I'd just end up buying a detroit, which means I have to dump my lockright, AND, that adds $550 to an already expensive gear change.

So, since 14 bolts are so popular, along with people installing lockers with 4.10s and down (JK5 for example having 4.10s and an ARB, talk about an expensive change if you want 5.13s, another $800 required for a new ARB). I had figured that a set of thick 5.13 ratio gears at the very minimum would be a good start towards having a much more economical way to get 5.13s in the axles we most commonly run with minimal issues.

The rep told me that they need to sell 1,000 gearsets in order to make any money on a project like this. I told him that although that's alot of gears, I really don't think that's a problem at all considering the number of people running GM 14 bolts both in GM rigs and everything else for that matter.

So, what do you guys think? You guys think that you'd be interested?

Apparently the rep from precision thinks that I'm on to something, I didn't give him my number, but he did manage to get it from SOMEWHERE and he gave me a call yesterday and left me a messege. I'm going to be calling him back tomorrow, he's a really nice guy. Maybe he's talking about sponsoring me with a set of 5.13s for both ends of my rig. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I kinda joked to him that maybe it was a good idea that they do such a thing, and I told him that I'm a dealer for Precision already, but in a way I was making a joke because I never thought that a company as big as that would sponsor a little guy like me. Either way he went out of his way to call me so I'm going to call him back and see what he has to say.

So, would you guys be interested?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: Who would be interested in a set of thick 5.13 gears for a Dana 60? *po

id like to have the option IF i ever get a D60 or need something that low. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Actually they need to make 4:56, 4:88, and 5:13's.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Randy's ring and pinion

go to ring and pionions on the side and then pick Dana.
    According to this chart those gearsets are available. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got 5.13's on my 60F so I don't really care if they make them or not. Thick gears would be nice for some but it's just a $10 carrier off of ebay so it's not big deal.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They make thick 5.13s for the Ford Dana 60 (reverse cut) because there is only one carrier available for it. For a standard cut Dana 60 you're on your own.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got 5.13's on my 60F so I don't really care if they make them or not. Thick gears would be nice for some but it's just a $10 carrier off of ebay so it's not big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a Ford '60, do you not?

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd just end up buying a detroit

[/ QUOTE ] I really like the idea of a selectable locker up front like the Ox Locker or the ARB. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I see. I just assumed that if they were available thick in reverse rotation the other would be as well. Seems stupid not to just make them both. My bad.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I really like the idea of a selectable locker up front like the Ox Locker or the ARB. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Get your ass on the trail and try an automatic locker and you won't.

Either way, that is off topic and has nothing to do with the lack of thick gearsets available for standard cut Dana 60s. If you had your expensive Ox locker or ARB or Electrac or whatever, you'd still have to use a spacer or change carriers to continue to use it after your gear change.

I think selectable lockers are the biggest crock of crap hype that has ever hit the four wheeling market. Take your foot off the gas if you want it to unlock.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't know if I am quite following...but I want 5.13 gears when I get a d60. But I doubt I will beable to find it with 4.56+ gears in. So I would end up getting 4.10 and down; ring and pinion... so I would NEED 5.13 gears! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get your ass on the trail and try an automatic locker and you won't.

Either way, that is off topic and has nothing to do with the lack of thick gearsets available for standard cut Dana 60s. If you had your expensive Ox locker or ARB or Electrac or whatever, you'd still have to use a spacer or change carriers to continue to use it after your gear change.

I think selectable lockers are the biggest crock of crap hype that has ever hit the four wheeling market. Take your foot off the gas if you want it to unlock.

[/ QUOTE ]You may have a point if it's a trailer queen trail only rig, but for guys like myself who also drive on the streets, .......

13. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me Tim, how do you turn a corner on a trail without giving any throttle input. If you have invented a way of motivating a truck through a trail without the use of the engine I am dying to hear about it.

14. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I think he means to take foot off the gas and coast cuase the detroits are really only locked under pressure or while accellerating

15. BlueBlazer

Yes, I understand what he is saying, but what good is it to have the locker unlocked if you cant move the truck (due to no throttle input) /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You just let the clutch out.

17. BlueBlazer

Letting the clutch out would input power to the axle, thus locking it, I have experienced it many a time. If selectable lockers were cheaper and as reliable I would have one in a heartbeat.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    reliable

[/ QUOTE ]

The only word necessary to push me away right there.

19. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have a stock 4.56 and up open D60 carrier sitting in my garage if you ever need one Tim. It has a bigger than stock drift pin as i drilled the old one out.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No thanks. I'm going to a detroit when I change.