Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who would be willing to do this? No more dentist visits with this new...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jakeslim, Mar 2, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Well, it does not exist, but with all the technology in the world, mars trips, etc, don't you think it would be possible to have dental procedure that would give you teeth for life without any problems or visits to the dentist? Perhaps it would be that once your adult teeth come it, you rip them all out and replace them with this procedure, and they are good for life.

Or maybe they coat them with some super duper lifelong coating that protects them for life.

anyways, i'm bored and this is what entered my mind. I am sure the dental industry WOULD NOT SUPPORT this type of thing.

Now I know that implants exist, but they are still problematic.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've thought of such as well. I don't know from experience but dentures don't seem bad, adhere them and go, soak them at night wash them and they are good for a long time. But it is one of those things that will never happen, one of those that the government would never allow, they'd claim it dangerous when the only problem is it will put so many dentists out of business, and dental hygenist who all they do is clean and check teeth.

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Would these be self-cleaning teeth? It would be nice not to have to buy toothpaste every month /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and I could sleep in a few minutes longer... just rinse with some mouthwash for the breath and go /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i suppose science could introduce(and you know this is possible)a bacteria that inhabits your mouth and produces a mint scent. Their job would be to keep your teeth clean.
    They would attack foreign debri and keep it all clean.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I wish they would come out with something too.

When I was a kid they had some sort of plastic sealant they applied to my teeth, but I think it was just on the tops of the molars. I used to get tons of cavities when I was young (not brushing your teeth and a lot of sugar will do that) so I think thats why they applied it.

Anyways, now that I am much better at brushing my teeth (twice a day, and flossing as well) I still get cavaties. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

The only problem with coatings is that they would constantly be exposed to abrasion. Anything you applied probably wouldn't last long, and if it did, what parts DID wear down would probably affect your bite, screwing up your jaw.

Problem with dentures and any idea of a "coating" for the teeth is that affects the gums, and apparently they tend to receed when the teeth are removed, which causes even more problems. A coating probably wouldn't allow he gums to "adhere" to the teeth, so you'd get cavaties really far under the gum line, if the gums didn't just reced to the bone.

I hate my teeth. I want to keep them, but they just don't seem to be built very well. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

That's odd... I didn't brush my teeth regularly until I was 13 or 14 /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif and I've only had 2 cavities in my life... and I lived on SURGE and Mt. Dew until a year and a few months ago... maybe I'm magical

7. dyeager535

Mosquito bites don't cause a reaction on my skin either...wanna trade some DNA? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe my spit is toxic to teeth or something lol.

My girlfriend is pretty close to the same way you are, no teeth problems with minimal upkeep, at least compared to my regimen that still nets me cavaties.

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

its all genetics. People sometimes all the care in the world will do nothing more than prolong the inevitable a few more years. Weak teeth are problem. Ever see weak teeth in those pictures of tribesman? Our diet doesn't help /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

Re: Who would be willing to do this? No more dentist visits with this new.

actually i saw something on discovery or something of that sort that they were testing some "bacteria" or something of that sort that was supposed to do exactly that, attack whatever causes cavities (not clean your teath though), they said they had something like that just testing it to make sure it doesn't hurt people, which means that it should be on the FDAs (that the drug and food joint that tests for safety?) testing list bout....uh... 50 years from now, they ought to ok it .... uh.... 50 years after that.

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

yeah, and then 50 yrs after that they will discover that it causes cancer

11. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

man you guys must really be bored.

12. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    man you guys must really be bored.

[/ QUOTE ]

Says the man browsing the lounge, clicking on a post with "No more dentist visits" in the title, reading all of the posts, then posting himself. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

you guys are killing me!!!!! Being a dentist I've had fun reading this thread. Most of my patients that don't take care of their teeth say they want to pull'em all. As soon as they do that, they realize looking 15 years older and eating apple sauce ain't what it's all cracked up to be. I've had patients spend big bucks for complete implants and wonder why they just didn't take 3 minutes a day to care for their natural teeth. Dental secret: Learn how to floss and do it everyday. When you shower- do you wash everything except your butt? Brushing without flossing is the same thing-throw in some noxious bacteria and you have some nasty [darn].

14. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

hey no fair, an expert /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Ok, but would you agree that there are differences in tooth strength and possible saliva attributes that allow some to have excellent(no cavities) and some to just be traumatized(even with brushing and flossing)? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

sure-some people are more prone to develope problems than others. That said-most could prevent new cavities. Take me to one. I'm a dentist that loves M&M's. If I ate a bag a day-not hard to do, I could develope cavities even though I brush and floss. If you subject your teeth to an acid environment for several hours at a time-it softens up the enamel. Do this often enough and bingo -you've got problems. What I do is down the entire bag of M&M's or snickers and brush or rinse afterwards. I have not had a cavity in 20 years-even though I had plenty as a kid.

16. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Is brushing your teeth with grain alcohol effective in any way?

(I'm really serious here)

17. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

ive always wondered why you couldnt coat your teeth, perhaps with something to the effect of teflon, so food wouldnt stick to them

18. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Here is one for the resident dentist of CK5...if alchohol is known to increase chances of oral cancer, then why do we use mouthwash every day, two-three times a day? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

19. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Well I always wondered why you cant get a mini pressure washer and clean em at 150 psi

That reminds me of the teflon wheels they're selling now

20. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I think it's called dentures. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif