Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who would want a bolt in rollbar kit? *DELETED*

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scorpion, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Scorpion

Scorpion Registered Member

Post deleted by Scorpion

2. lukefalls

lukefalls 1/2 ton status

Re: Who would want a bolt in rollbar kit?

Could you make an interior role cage for a 67-72 pick-up?

3. Scorpion

Sure. What year pickup do you have? Do all those years have the same cab?

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Having worked on a number of race cars, I find the design of the Smitty bar rather poor. I'd rather see a different design that ties the rear downrunners into a point on the main hoop that coincides with the upper frontrunners. If you could do that, I'd definitely be interested if I can see a picture of the finished product...

5. Scorpion

Should have said "based" on the smitty built cage. You're right, the rear downrunners aren't in the right place on the Smitty Built cages. I've got one I'm installing next week and I'll take some pics and get them up.

6. lukefalls

lukefalls 1/2 ton status

67-72 cabs are all the same with one exception. Some have AC and some don't. The cab design is the same, but under the dash is a bit different. Also, the dash has vents in it that you wouldn't want to block. Assentially, the dash is the same as 1st gen blazer. If you could make it to accomidate the 1st gen blazer, then you could make it for the p/u....I would think. Thanks.

7. Scorpion

One would have to be very creative to prevent blocking the vents that are located near the winsheild cranks. It is possible to cut a hole in the top of the dash and run the tubes through the dash. Of coures cutting the dash wouldn't be my first choice so I have opted to block my ac vents.

The prefab kits that are offered interfere with the glove box so I recommend that a 1 3/4" diameter tub is used instead of the traditional 2". The smaller size helps tuck it out of the way as well.

In the next couple of weeks I will be removing my 2" cage and installing a 1 3/4" cage. This go around I intend to resolve some of the isses that my old cage (noted above) presented. I will post pics as soon as it is completed.

8. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Scorpion fill out your bio so we know some more about you please. Where are you located? I'm in need of a cage for my 1st gen. But want more than a 6 point. Would like to have seat tubes between the main hoops. Or have you thought of going with a "Halo bar" and down tubes? I'm even thinking of pulling the dash and tieing the cage to a front end cage around the motor. And tieing everything into the frame useing 1.5" spring bushing for some flex between the body and frame. Thinking of going with a 14+ point cage when it gets finished, doing part at a time till it's done. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Scorpion

Sure thing. I'll do that right now.

10. Scorpion

Cool! Full on cage. That would be a blast. I'm starting a similar cage in my Jeep however the frame is crap so I may have to build that too.

If I can help, I'd be glad to though I have noticed that we are at a geographic disadvantage.

Matt

11. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

what are u asking for a kit?

12. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

how much would you be selling them for or would it be a case by case basis?for example:four point or six or 8 point cage goes for what price?can we email you for a quote on how we want it built?thanx /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

13. Scorpion

Response to your question

I was attempting to get a feel for how many people would be interested so initially, it would probably be on a case by case basis due to how much a design can change from one person to another. Email me with what you are interested in and we'll take it from there. Please let me know what type of tubing you are interested in (2" vs. 1 3/4") as well as thickness (.120 vs. .134).

Thanks

14. Scorpion

Asking Price

I was attempting to see if enough people would be interested so at this time I'm going to give quotes on a case by case basis. It took some work to install a kit that I purchased from a 4x4 store so I figured that I could duplicate the kit (now that I have the necessary tools) and make it more of a weld in kit than what is currently provided. This, of course, is all possible because I have a Gen I and I can test fit everything before it's shipped. Email me what you are interested in and I'll give you a ballpark for that. Include the type of tubing that you desire (2" vs. 1 3/4", .120 vs. .134). If you are on a budget, I can build it out of ERW (electric weld tubing) instead of DOM (Drawn Over Mandrel) and cut the cost quite a bit. Keep in mind that ERW is not nearly as strong as DOM and that I probably can't beat the prices that you would get in a store for a ERW cage kit.

Thanks

15. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

Re: Response to your question

how much just for a hoop and 2 downbars to the rear like the stock rollbar looks?the guy i bought mine from did a hack job 6 point on it and it looked crappy and the top didnt fit with it in so i took it off and scrapped it.