Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whoa... 80s flashback

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

2. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I want to know who the fool is that bid $12,500 for it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Wow, that is RADICAL

Totally Tubular, dude!!

Where can I get a bumper just like THAT!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Hey now !!! All we need is the driver with a mullet hair dooo! Hmmmm lets see what we could do with that thing !! Reowrk the suspension with a 4-link set-up and dual resevoir dual rate coilovers, lower the body down onto the frame and let her scream through the mud bogs !!!

5. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Looks like it could only drive backwards. What an abortion!

6. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Yep looks like a cover truck for Petersen's 4wheel & Offroad in like 1985. Should be in the middle of a small running river though. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Eric

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Please note the radical 3" of uptravel afforded by the quad shocks at each wheel -

[​IMG]

The truck also comes equipped with a coil spring ejection feature, just in case you let the axle droop too far the coil will fall out to let you know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif *EDIT* - I just noticed the limiting straps... Looks like the truck has been limited to a nice safe 6" of total travel. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[​IMG]

I make fun of it now, but I bet that in '86 when it was built it was the shiznit... It does seem like alot of work went in to it and it's much better wuality work than you usually see on trucks like this that are on e-bay.

It's like, totally retro, dude! I'll put on my Wayfarers and my Member's Only jacket and go cruuuiiisin!

8. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

god i want to puke

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

peeps always bag on rigs like this. dunno why. put on some coilovers, trim, add some high clearance bumpers and drop the body to the frame and you've got a bad azz rig... powder coated axles or not...

j

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Screw coilovers. Put the right leaf springs on it and it's ready for the mud. Since when is wicked wheel travel necessary for mud?

11. Idon't know about you but I have owned a truck with 12" springs at "Hitting the Mud" with those unforgiving frickin springs hurt the ole back and other body parts, so coilover aren't just for wickes travel, they cushion too !!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. jekbrown

mud is for girls.

j

13. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

last time i checked girls dont like mud. Something about ruining her blouse. I wasnt really paying attention.

14. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    mud is for girls.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

hey now... i dunno about that. you live in the PNW you better get used to mud unless you only want to wheel in the summer time.

15. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]

hey now... i dunno about that. you live in the PNW you better get used to mud unless you only want to wheel in the summer time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't wheel much in the winter... and when I do I make an effort to avoid mud wholes. I dont mean puddles on trails and the like, I mean 6' deep gooey nasty boggin' mud wholes. I've just never been into that kind of wheelin... doesnt do anything for me.

[ QUOTE ]
    last time i checked girls dont like mud.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, go to the right kind of beauty salon/spa type place and you just might fight women bathing in mud. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif women are the only ones (thank gawd) that are willing to mud wrestle as well. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Idon't know about you but I have owned a truck with 12" springs at "Hitting the Mud" with those unforgiving frickin springs hurt the ole back and other body parts, so coilover aren't just for wickes travel, they cushion too !!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't disagree there.

If it wasn't for mud, I wouldn't own my truck at all. I personally think rocks are mildly intersting and sand is completely stupid. Rocks look challenging, but to me, I like wheeling on an ever-changing surface like mud. Nothing really beats being out there in the woods, twisting your truck up on some trails and hitting a few swamps along the way.

Every chick I've dated seems to enjoy four wheeling. They might not like the dirty part or the mud part but they enjoy the nature part or the fact that its just with good ole me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

17. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    last time i checked girls dont like mud

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ha not my girlfriend, I swear mud is an aphrodesiac for her /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    peeps always bag on rigs like this. dunno why. put on some coilovers, trim, add some high clearance bumpers and drop the body to the frame and you've got a bad azz rig... powder coated axles or not...

j

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't baggin on it so much as taking a walk down memory lane, back in the mid 80s this truck would have been on the cover of FourWheeler if you put about 200lbs of chrome on it. Like I said, it was likely the $h!t back then, and whether you admit it or not you would havfe thought it was cool in 1986. Who was worried about wheel travel and articulation in 1986?

19. jekbrown

lol! i hear ya. I think I still have some old mid/late 80s fourwheelers somewhere in a closet. Lots of chromed undercarriages... lots of shocks... and lots of zebra-striped paint jobs. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I dunno what I thought was cool back then... but I do know that 2.5t rockwells are cool no matter what era of wheelin ur talkin about. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

The axles under that thing likely came from Boyce, he has the flipped hubs with discs and everything. Pretty fancy stuff even now. Probably cost him a chunk of change to build it.