Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whoa. steering box keeps coming loose. Almost got my number called tonight.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

the highway by my house is in pretty bad shape as far as snow tire dmg, it is getting rutted, anyway, i go to get on the highway and it feels like i cant steer, truck is wandering like a sunuvabitch, itll start to wander into the other lane, then i go to correct it, and it jumps across the ruts to the other side of the road, and so on back and forth,

The mounting bolts on the steering box keep working themselves loose, so i guess i got to get longer bolts and put nuts on the end but......
    Ive adjusted that little allen head on top of the steering box, could it just be that this steering box has gone to hell or what?, also, I have the weld in frame kit, but for those of you who have the bolt in brace, coudl you tell a difference in your steering after you put it in?

my heart is still racing from that expirience.

2. PROFESSORSK5

PROFESSORSK5 Registered Member

I had the same problem although not as bad. What I did to fix it (at least I think I did) was to have grade 8 bolts and use the red lock tight and torque the bolts down to 90 ft/lbs. It was sugested to me to use nuts and lock washers, but have not done that yet, only if I need to. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

If You overtightened the allen screw, the added torque on the screw, won't let the gear come back to center by itself. I've been this route Myself, it is'nt a nice feeling, to have the vehicle, stick to the left, then You turn to the right, and it stick's to the right.

Replace the bolt's, nut's, and torque them down also. I think they are 7/16" bolt's. Grade 8 bolt's will handle 50lbs. of torque.