Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whoever owns a TH350 is a forking IDIOT!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Mar 8, 2003.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

AND I AM YOUR GRAND MASTER!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

So 3rd gear in my 3rd TH350 let's loose today. Obviously I am nonplussed. Rita is pissed as hell that YET ANOTHER tranny goes onto the credit cards.

I might as well do the whole damn doubler right now while I gut the pig. That or part out the royal pain in my arse that has been the bane of my existence.

damn it all to hell. I'm driving. I'm so pissed i can't thing straight...

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OH NOOO your not! I think I hold the record for TH 350 swaps in a short time. I think 5 or 6 in a matter of months. I was averaging about 10 miles before they would puke out! LMAO! My record is under 15 minutes to have it out. It was still hot when it was on the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Oh did I mention it REALLY blew to the sky in January too. 7 weeks later to the day I finally got the call to come get it! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

What let go in yours? I shattered the clutch drum into several pieces, sheared off the snout the sprag is supposed to be on and exploded the planetaries. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Quality tranny carnage. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Only one to beat me lately that I know of is the guy whose tranny case blew to bits. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

mine was :rainbow:

it just let go.

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

AWW MAN! no funny sounding BANGS or whines. How bout stopped pulling? LOL!

This last time it fragged I had to drive it in in 1st gear. When I got it tached up I tried 2nd, expecting it to quit pulling.....and it went in. Then D. But if I dropped it in anything but 1st it would just growl and make a slushy mettalic sound and sit there.

It wasnt happy about it, but PI got me back to the shop. Its NEVER left me stranded. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[cough] 4 speed [/cough]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Might as well put a mans tranny in that thing while it's apart...

Rene

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

take your fat foot off the tall skinny.....

I feel bad for you, but you've just ZAKK'ed me too many times, so what do you think you will do for a replacement this time and are you using the same place to build them or getting them at different places. Maybe we could start another 700R4 hate thread...LOL whats your thoughts on the TH 400...

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Man, I have beat mine for a year and a half with no trouble. I am not easy on it either. Sorry to hear about the trouble. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you keep going through them, I'd serously look into a sm465 !!!!

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Man, sorry to hear about your tranny troubles.

Believe it or not, I'm seriously considering backing up to a TH350 from my TH400. I really want to build a doubler... but money is tight and I'm having trouble finding a TH400/NP203 adapter and gear box for a good price. Even if I do, then what if I break the adapter, gotta spend ages and $$$ for another one, if it can be found at all. So... on to a TH350 so I can find adapters and cases without too much trouble. I'll also build the TH350 before installing, and with the doubler taking the load off, less weight, and not a daily driver, I think it will do fine...

Anyway, good luck.

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Zakk, whats up man?
    You can give me a call, lets rebuild your tranny, $125 for the rebuild kit and maybe a new $100 converter.
    Don't go spending $700 to have someone do it for you, I'll show you it's easy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    I rebuilt my TH350 with a stage 2 shift kit, i have about 10K miles on it and its going great.

What i'm thinking is if 3rd gear went out, it's probally just burned clutches for 3rd gear because of 4:11's and 40's. This would explain the high temp readings while on the freeway coming back from hollister, your clutches were burning up.
    If its just clutches it's way easy to rebuild a tranny.

11. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

***Yawn*** Watch what you say 'bout the 700s. It may have been a spendy build up for my unit, but I'm sure 3-4 th350 builds aren't cheap........ /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    IMHO for your pictular application 1st choice manual, 2nd choice since you already have a 350, do a built 700. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Sorry to here about your bad fortune with the 350. Maybe you should consider what parts your rebuilding it with. I have used th350's for years, only had 1 fail. my fault. I new i should have changed sprag, but cheaped out the 30.00 bucks! we used to use the 350's in our drag cars. 600-700 HP motors. The th350 used less engine power to operate than the 400's. I think the spec was 18 hp less.We used mostly TCI parts.

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

The th400/np203 adapter and affordable set-up is a problem, Russ.

I wouldn't mind a SM465, but then Rita wouldn't be able to drive. She had a ton of fun on the Mini-Rubicon, so i think her driving will be a more common occurence.

I might take ryan up on just rebuilding my TH350 and seeing how well it can hold up. With the summer runs coming up, I don't know whether or not to just sink into debt and get the set-up i want.

I think i really need a doubler. the rocks are calling and my tranny/t-case/gears just aint enuff.

*sigh* it might be time for a poll /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i went through 2 in a week, stock one was leaking one day, took it down to tranny shop, they pulled the pan chunks, so i bought new internals and they fixed it, a couple days later i blew the governor caps off and threw a ujoint and cracked the back of the housing i think the shift kit had something to do wit that one /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i am saving up for a 400 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

dude your 700 sucked , it kept throwing me back in my seat every time it would shift...LOL Your tranny kicks arse... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

i'm on year 25 of mine, so sometimes it doesn't shift, but nothing really strengthwise has broke!

17. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [cough] 4 speed [/cough]

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Might as well put a mans tranny in that thing while it's apart...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">I conquor. I beat the snot out of my 465 on a regular basis and it comes back for more every time. Instead of putting in another POS auto (sounds like you've broken a few), save a couple bucks and go manual

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree. Mine might like to pop out of 3rd gear but it stays together.

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't mind a SM465, but then Rita wouldn't be able to drive. She had a ton of fun on the Mini-Rubicon, so i think her driving will be a more common occurence.

[/ QUOTE ]

it wouldn't fly with the misses and she wheels better than I do

20. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Is she not even slightly interested in learning? Tell her how much it'll save on the Visa bill with no more trannies to rebuild.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene