Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whoever said 33's fit a Stock K5 is full of $hit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by behemoth, May 3, 2002.

1. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Whoever said 33\'s fit a Stock K5 is full of $hit

... spent $900 on new 33x12.5R15 Interco TruXus MT's and 15x10 AR Rock Crawlers today. Whoever said (on this board) that 33 inch tires fit a STOCK Blazer doesn't know what they're talking about - I won't mention any screen names - but I relied heavily (my fault) on the 'opinion's' (yes - opinions are like a$$holes -everybody has one) of a lot of people here and NOBODY ever said that BODY MODIFICATIONS WERE MANDITORY on a stock blazer with this size tire!! I had to cut the hell outa my fenders just to be able to drive out of the shop!! Now - the earlier posts discussing tire size verses "lift/no lift" were very generic regarding tire configuration - i.e. brand, height, width, backspacing, tread pattern, etc. etc. OK - I did my homework as far as researching what tire was right for MY style of on/off road driving preferences. But as far as anyone mentioning whether a wider tire would fit a stock, unlifted K5 or not - well - NOBODY said $hit!

PLEASE - When ever discussing what works for your truck - throw out brand names, etc. so people will know that what works for them may not necessarily work for others. I know - this is a discussion forum - but a lot of people get a lot of their information (as far as what to buy, etc.) from a lot of you guys - some of us rely heavily on the opinions of the so-called 'experts' here. Just give as much DETAILED information as possible. Don't be vague - be as precise as you can. It would have saved me a headache today.

OK - Rant mode off. These tires are awesome!! They're a lot louder than the stock BFG's that I had, and the road handling will take a few miles to get used to. You have to 'think' before entering a curve since they tend to 'wander' through the lane. I haven't had them off road yet - so I don't know the extent of their capabilities yet. I'll post a review after I properly test them.

I'm going to throw on a 4 inch lift next week - I'll be ready for almost any trail then!!

This is STILL the greatest source of information (and BS) regarding K5 Blazers. Therein lies the problem - sometimes TOO MUCH (or not enough) information....

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Whoever said 33\'s fit a Stock K5 is full of $hit

If your springs weren't all worn out, they'd fit pretty well for road usage and require trimming for off-roading. Apparently, your springs are shot.

I've seen 33s on stock rigs many times.

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You make a good point about 'opinions' but most of what you were told is not opinion, it was fact. Shannon (mudhog) for ONE had that combo on his truck, I saw it, wheeled with him, and never had a clearance problem.

I always figure I better ask '20 questions' because there are so many details...........details kill ya...........like the fact that you have 10" wide rims...........and what is the backspacing...........and how many miles on your stock spring............etc................etc.

Don't count on people to think for you, ask specific questions of people and then make your move.

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You coulda just asked me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

It's true with the details. As old as a lot of these trucks are, the way they've been used has a lot to do with how they are 'set up' also.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Shannon has narrow rims with a ton of backspacing...which is the only reason he got away with it. To the best of my kniowledge there were plenty of refernces to this. Many respected members here have also stated that trimming with 4" and 33's was necessary if wheeled hard. Backspacing and wide rims gotcha...

At any rate you would have needed to trim at some point in the future anyways/forums/images/icons/wink.gif Now it's already done./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Those 10 inch wide rims are a big part of the problem. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I ran 33 inch BFG All-Terrains on the factory alloys of an '87 K5 for about 5 years. Wheeled the whee out of it and never had clearance problems. 10 inch wide rims will move the tire way outboard, causing the outer edges of the tires to move much further forward and back when the wheels are turned than if the tire was mounted on a stock wheel. If the wheels also happen to also have a small amount of backspacing, then the problem is even worse, as that makes the tires stick out even further.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i had no back spacing i had a positive offset rim that was only 8in wide the positive offset is wat does it when you have a negitive offset it pushes the tire out past the fender and it will rub /forums/images/icons/frown.gif i am now running (and you can ask Frank (blazzinor) how hard i wheel /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ) i am running 38x13x16in swampers on stock steel rims with a positive offset and only 2.5in lift and DO NOT RUB but i did do lots of fender trimming to fit the 38's /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    so if you are refuring to me in any way shape or form i apoligize(sp?) i try to always include that you need to have a positive offset rim to make 33 fit on a stock blazer but may have forgot it when talking to you

8. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well since there's a good chance that I gave you advice, just click the link at the end of my sig and y'all will see the proof.

10. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

heh, I never saw that post. A good friend of mine has 33's on 16.5x9.75 wheels (stock backspacing...4.5ish?) on a 3/4 ton truck with no lift. A 3/4 ton wont flex as much, and he still has fender rub, even after a freakish attack with the sawsall. Removing the inner fender and serious hacking would be necessary for no tire rub at all. However I have a truck a 2.5 inch lift, and mild trimming (just cut the back part of the front fender to back to the inner, and a little off the front) and I only get a slight rub on hard off roading. That's with 33's (ok 305-70 R16) on 16x10's.

11. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

well that little experience sure did suck. why didnt you put the old rims & tires back on and wait for the lift before putting the other ones on? Id hate to hack good fenders for 33's :/

12. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

well on my 79 blazer with its original springs with centerline ht aluminum wheels running sears 33 12.50 15 trailblazer tires. It fit just fine for years.

13. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I think one of themajor problems is with the tires themselves. The radial 35s I have now (Kumhos) actually measure only 33 and a bit tall when mounted and on the truck. The Super Swamper TSL-SXs (35s) are actually 35" tall. If you talk to someone with BFG or Some other brand of 33, they might fit cause the tires are only 31 or 32" tall. The Swampers you put on are prolly 33" tall. That might be the difference. Plus, the Swampers tread has those side biters that extend the tread width out way wider then a regular radial tire. Thats what makes them so awesome.
    One thing I have learned from hangin out on bulletin boards is that you have to take everything with a grain of salt. Get lots of responses, take an average and check things out.

mIke

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not to be a prick here, and I know its already been covered, but you might want to change that title. Blaming everyone, saying that they won't fit on a "Stock K5" when your wheels aren't stock is BS, and not even slightly true....even if the backspacing is the same as stock wheels, its still not stock, and adds another variable into an already complex equation.

Many people have done it, for sure, but I'd bet if you go back, or ask again, you will see people that did, have, or have not had any problems with that size tire on a "stock" (which mean stock..not different width wheels) truck.

I for one run 33x10.5R15's, because even before I bought them, I was *certain* that the extra two inches of the 12.5's, with no lift and 8" wheels, would result in at least SOME rubbing.

I think it's ok to take advice from here, or ask for help with something that is cut and dry, (bolt torque, how is this removed, etc) but not test fitting something yourself first, you really don't have anyone to blame but yourself.

One of the reasons I bought my tires from where I did was because they were willing to let me return them *if* my tires rubbed, which they have never done. I have been pretty careful though to not say anymore that the 33x10.5R15's will fit all K5's for certain, because vehicle age, spring sag, 73-80 and 81-91 wheelwell differences, wheel size, backspacing, and spring stiffness ALL contribute to how much tire will clear, and under what conditions....and thats enough variables to easily say "its going to be individual vehicle dependent on how large a tire you can run without rubbing".

15. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I ran 33's stock lift 15x10 rims no prob....no trimming....so what if ya have to trim a little....

16. doc70sub

doc70sub 1/2 ton status

My guess is your springs are sagging, as my stock '79 K-5 came w/ 15x10 wagon wheels & 33x12.50x15 BFG's when I bought it (for a $1, like Grim). Sorry about the rubbing, but how about some pics! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Doc

17. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I ran 33's with stock height and had no probs for two years. If I were you, I would take all the advice as opinions and just appreciate each and every one of those opinions no matter how accurate. We are all lucky to have a discussion board like this. Especially people who don't have much experience with rigs.
    Just my opinion...

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think you owe an apology to people around here !!!!!
    Did you even do a search??????????
    Type in "33 inch tires" you will get all kinds of posts about them many saying they had to trim their fenders. And they will rub with 10 " wheels.
    There was just a thread covering this subject a few weeks ago: <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=387457&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=> 33 inch tires on stock suspention?</a>
    Before you go cussing members out maby you should "Do your homework again"

Heres a pic of my K5 with 12.50x 33s on stock suspention if you need proof they will fit:<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze/abd> Thunder's Blaze Flexin</a>

19. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I replaced the springs on my k5 with original factory replacements and got 3" of lift. So in all actual theory my saging factory springs were three inches lower then stock.

Might need to think over all the variables because I was running 33" on factory wheels with the "new" factory springs with NO trimming nor rubbing.

20. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

well each truck is different. people could just *not* give any advice, and not have to deal with whine posts like this one.

Each truck is it's own monster. I don't come onto this board and scream "Who ever said hold down battery trays were sufficant is full of bullshit". just cuz my battery fell out and caught fire in MY application, doesn't mean it will for you.

and you whining about body mods? just wondering do you paint your shocks and skid plate weekly? or did you get your tires cuz "they looked to coolest"? I hear that it's not just Heep guys that do that...