Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whole lot of shakin' goin' on

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by myklnglo87K5, Nov 9, 2001.

1. myklnglo87K5

myklnglo87K5 Registered Member

whole lot of shakin\' goin\' on

I've got some overall vibration in my '87 Blazer. I've replaced all the wheel bearings, put in a new drive shaft, had wheels balanced. No lift, stock ride. It's gotten better but still has vibration. I have yet to check out the shocks which is next on my list. Can bad shocks create an overall vibration? It does seem to subside a bit on smoother roads and worse on rougher ones. It all started after putting on new rear brake drums. Everyone I've talked to says they can't be the culprit. Any ideas?

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Re: whole lot of shakin\' goin\' on

Check the u-joints... about every bad stinking shake I get is from one of those gems decided to take a poo on me... [​IMG]

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

3. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Let me ask is it when you speed up or slow down, (5-20 mph)?
    or is it all the time?

It could be the Transmission mounts or Motor mounts. the factory rubber could just be breaking away.

good luck
    KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/kensk5>My Picts</a>

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have "heard" of cases where the drums had to be balanced (for whatever reason) in order to stop vibrations. If there is any external weights on the drums and they were put back on in a different position you will get vibes. Not sure if this is the problem because 99.9% of the time it doesn't matter which way you put the drums back on, but I have heard of a few cases where they added weights to the drum to stop vibrations (usually on the larger axles though). Again this may not be it, but would explain why just a brake job would cause vibrations. Also it could be something else (i.e. u-joint) that decided to go south at the same time you did your brake job, so check everything.

Hope you find the cause.
    Good luck.

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

5. myklnglo87K5

myklnglo87K5 Registered Member

Thanks for the input. New u-jopints with the driveshaft. I have found a bad shock bushing though, The thing is wobbling on its mount. I'll try some new shocks and rotating the shaft 180degrees. Let you know how that works. It must be a Murhpy Law that when your fixing one thing something else breaks and continues on. I did learn how to tear my front hubs apart and put them together again. That was a plus

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by myklnglo87K5 on 11/10/01 12:35 AM.</FONT></P>

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

yer rotors or drums could be warped ...

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?
    81 K10 GOODYEAR 35" MTRS
    TH350 NP 208
    O R D's axles
    NO BREAKAGE :)