Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whoo, Finally a Dana 60!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by or2play, Oct 24, 2003.

1. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

The suburban is going 1 ton /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I finally got a dana 60. Out of a 87 SRW crew cab. Managed to win it on ebay, at the low price of only 620.00 bucks. Ya, okay I have to pay for shipping from New York to Phoenix, but how could I ever beat that price.

2. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

If it came from ney york dont count on it beeing cheap thats ware i got mine and the rust was horible on it and im putting a lot of extra cash in to it now the pics I seen before I bought it didnt show how bad it was. so be prepared for a lot of work. Hope fuly you got a good deal and wont have the problems Ive had.

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hate it when SRW crew cabs become donors, those trucks are so cool. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Not trying to critize you or anything. Good find.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

must agree its sad to realize a Crew Cab is gone, ha. Oh well, I need a Dana 60 so kill em all /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why does everyone assume it was a cherry, all original crew cab? More than likely the body was about to fall off the frame or it had been in a bad wreck...the D60 got saved.

Rene

6. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

The outside looked really clean. He said new calipers and tie-rod ends. But we'll see. Gotta re-gear it and upgrade the outers so its gonna have some cash going in to it. Probably will be having questions that will need some answers.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I know thats most likely what happened, I was saying that the d60 being out there means that happened to a crew cab so its sad to me. My k5 was rusty when I got it, just means work. But like I also said, I need a D60 so let the crew cabs crunch. I pirated everything but the housing for my 14 bolt from a crew cab 2wd. It wasn't in bad condition but I'm sure it didn't run and the whole 9 yards. The rear springs were worn out beyond belief, don't know how anyone stood to ride down the road on worn out 1 ton springs.

8. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats a great price for a 60.Be prepared if you plan on rebuilding it though,Big bucks. got over 2700.00 in mine /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I'm expecting someday I will have more in axle parts than almost anything in the K5, say short of the motor. Heck right now I have twice my purchase price of the k5 in the motor.

10. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Same here. Figure new gears, bearings, 35 spline outer & hubs, new ubolts, diff cover/protection, arb locker. Plus everything for my 14 bolt, the axles will be the most expensive components on the truck.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yep I figure, crossover parts, diff cover, locker, gears, and maybe 35 spline outers. Regearing the 14 bolt and puting a locker will most likely make it about the same as my motor. I have about 2k in motor, fresh rebuild 355 with intake, brand new Edelbrock Thunder AVS Off Road carb, headers, and RV Cam. Wish I went 383 back when I built her, oh well.

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i got all the tools needed, and i have doen mine already... you know where i live... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Grant

13. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

nice score man /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

I have 1700 in the D60 so far and that was with keeping the 4>10 gears and iner axles shafts and useing the stock diff. I still havent decided if I want to brake out the cash for the ARB yet. the ff14 bolt wasnt that bad I only have 500 in to it with the disk convertion.

15. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    [ QUOTE ]
    I hate it when SRW crew cabs become donors, those trucks are so cool. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Not trying to critize you or anything. Good find.

[/ QUOTE ]

a 1985 -> 1987 SRW crew cab is the most plentiful donor chev ever. TH400, 32 spline 205 (all the crew cabs were usually fixed rear output) Dana 60, 14/D70, and usually some motor that could TUG. The 87's were TBI too /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. FWP

FWP CRS

Good for you Brian /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I hope it's what you expect. Post up more/ pics when you get it on your doorstep.

17. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The suburban is going 1 ton I finally got a dana 60. Out of a 87 SRW crew cab. Managed to win it on ebay, at the low price of only 620.00 bucks. Ya, okay I have to pay for shipping from New York to Phoenix, but how could I ever beat that price.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got my D60/14 bolt for $400 with rims and tires off a mid '80's SRW diesel /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif did I beat you? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Ya I think you got me beat there. Thats was a hella deal there. I still think I got a good price too. I was starting to fear I would never find a 60 for less than 1500 or so. Then I see all the good deals, which are always on the other side of the country.

I finally gave up on trying to find one local. Ya shipping on of those is a pretty penny, but if you get at good deal, it makes it easier to swallow.

19. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

You're right... anytime you can get a 60 for less than $1,500 you've done good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Didn't mean to brag (ok, yea I did /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif) I just got my stuff a few weeks ago and I'm still excited about it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

When i was first looking for my 60 I stopped by this bone yard and asked this Black Dude if he had any front dana 60's.He said I gots three of those ma-Fuggas and they are 375.00 each. I about had a heart attack!When I went back to the pile they were all 44's what a let down /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif