Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHOOAA!!! No Brakes!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jeremy_C, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I know i need brakes, I've known this for about 2 weeks. Well, today they finally just gave up, The pedal goes all the way to the floor, and Its just luck if I stop at all now. The pedal is super spongey, it goes plum to the floor. It had been scraping metal for about 2 weeks, and then it quit. An now its doing this.

How big of a repair is this gonna be? I'm gonna HAVE to take it to a garage, i just dont have the time to do it. (Plus I dont know how /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif ) lol. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Nice! Never let your brakes go that long bud! You're driving a 4500-6000lb. truck that can do some serious damage! :P Anywho, depending on if its the front or rear, you're looking at replacing EVERYTHING since its been grinding metal to metal! Most shops will replace your calipers even since they have been "over extended." If its the rears, you'll need new drums - that is the only reason the pedal should drop so far down, otherwise you might have a leaky master happening too... check for fluid leaks below the booster.

Look forward to a HEAFTY bill if you plan on dropping it at a shop! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Good luck!

-Dan

3. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif [​IMG]

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Plan to pay close $1000 to $1800 on the brake job. You could do it yourself for about $500

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Hey, where'd you get the green guy?

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

SOunds like you ran the pads down so far that the piston over extended and lost pressure.
    If your doing it yourself not that expensive.
    Front rottors $25 each at Auto Zone.
    Calipers lifetime warranty Pep Girls $11 each.
    Rear wheel cylinders $10 each
    Raspestos Pro Stop Semimetalic pads $24
    Ray spestos Brake shoes $24
    New rear wheel adjusters $4 .50 each Auto zone.
    Rear brake drums $24 each zone.
    Rebuilt master cylinder $13 Zone
    Fluid $10 bucks for two quarts.
    Unless you need hoses that will replace EVERYTHING.
    Take the front hubs to a NAPA that has a machine shop and have them press the studs and install the new rotors. About $20.
    The longer you drive it with them grinding the more expensive it will be. Tripple the parts price if you have someplace do it and add about $300 for labor.
    You could have saved a bunch of cash if the rotors and drums were turn able but since you kept grinding them away the are probably toast.

7. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

Yea Yea Yea, I know. But its my only means of transportation. I have to drive to work, But for the last week I've had my partner pick me up in the patrol car. This will be the first week I get paid. I had to volunteer for alittle bit, but now i'm gettin paid, so now that i have a source of income i can afford to get it fixed. I hope it dont cost 1800, I just paid 1700 for the whole dang truck.

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

one of your steel lines could be cracked if the pedal goes all the way down.

9. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

It's a linked pic from offsite.

Right click the image -> properties -> address