Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WHOOOOOOO hooooooo (gun question inside)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by surpip, Nov 9, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I finally got it sooo happy i picked it up last night at 9:30, lovein it i cant wait to go shoot it this weekend /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif [​IMG] got a few questions, my GF is scared as hell of guns, i dont know what to do about this? Im going to take her up to shoot it this weekend,because i feel if there is a gun around you damn better shure know how to use it, safely. So anybody else had to deal with this? I think the next gun i buy will be a .22 just so cshe can go out and hav fun with that /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Most people are afraid of guns because they think that "guns kill people" when actually "people kill people". Maybe shoot it a few times while she watches, explain it's operation to her, and hope for the best? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif My past girlfriends have been afraid of guns also, then after they have shot the gun they aren't afraid anymore.

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Ya thats what i was thinking, cool man sounds good, im going up this weekend to shoot it, well see what happens

4. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I have actually had to deal with this fear of guns a few times. Education, education, education! First of all make sure she knows she is safe. I usually start off with the gun in peices when the person first sees it. Explain the mechanics, how it works, what all the pieces are, let them touch and look at the pecies. Also cover gun safety at this point. Then ask if they are comfortable with me putting it together- explain how the gun works again. Let them hold it, work the action, dry fire it. All well showing them how to do so safely. By this point they are past the fear that the gun is going to just start going off. I also offer to take the person to the range- and if they accept I start with .22's and let them work up in caliber as high as they want to go with both pistol and rifle. I shoot each gun first so they can see the recoil and know what to expect. The noise a gun makes seems to be a major issue for women. I make sure they use both ear plugs and a headset. Seems to help a little.

Out of the six ladies I have went through this with, all six are now gun owners and two have taken Concealed Carry classes. I also turned a gun hater into a shooter. In fact, she now owns a .22 rifle.

Take your time, be patient and you might end up with a new shooting partner.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Take your time, be patient and you might end up with a new shooting partner.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Great one more thing she can spend my money on /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. snobordboi

snobordboi Registered Member

I second odoas method, I did the same thing with an ex of mine, she was scared having the gun in the house, but after a scare one night (ended up being deer in the yard that the dog freaked out about) I unlocked it and went through a complete teardown and reassembly, exaplined everything, and let her do it all herself slowly, so she could see how it all worked and that it was in her control. made her much more at ease with the idea. But thank goodenss my new g/f loves to shoot and has her own shotguns, so when I can afford a few new ones she has no problem with them or going to shoot them!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I agree completely with this method. My wife was pretty anti-gun when we got together, I toughed it out and cleaned them in front of her while she bitched until one night she asked "what's that piece do?" so I went through the same procedure with her. Soon she wanted to try out the 9mm, I made her start with a .22, and we went from there. She now goes with me maybe one out five times, and even asked me for a ladysmith .38 for Christmas. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

On top of some of the excellent recommendations already made I would start any new shooter with a .22 The reason being is recoil can take some getting used to. Handing them a 300gr FMJ 44 Mag for their first shooting experience is NOT cool. I leave that for my friends who think they're cool. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used to work the far side of the counter in a gun shop. I've run into two basic types of women when it comes to hand guns. I'd guess 55%-60% of them prefer a revolver. I suspect that it is b/c they are not as mechanically intimidating.

The issue with autoloaders for some is being able to pull the slide back all of the way. I was shown a simple trick to teach those that wanted to try an autoloader but couldn't pull the slide. Have them lock both elbows while holding the slide in one hand and the grip in the other with the gun pointed down. Then a simple roll or twist of the shoulders is enough to rack the slide. It's easier to do than to describe in words.

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Start your girl with low power rounds at first-ear plugs are a must! Also,only put one round in the mag until you are sure she won't turn around with a loaded gun to ask you a question!!! Had to teach my wife, now she has her own S&W .38 that she shoots better than I can, but she still doesn't like my old 1911A1 Springfield.

10. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Good point about someone turning around with a loaded gun to ask a question. I tell the person I am going to stand directly behind them so I can make sure they are doing everything right. This also lets me see if they are going to turn, and if so a simple hand on the strong hand shoulder will stop the turn.

When someone is shooting a heavy caliber for the first time, quite often they will lock their shoulders which causes the recoil to rock them backwards. I stand very close with my feet planted well, when they rock back they hit my chest and stop. Have never had anyone throw the gun hand out to catch their balance and in doing so point a gun at someone else.
    I can't believe how quick someone who is "afraid of guns" can go through ammo! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Thank God for reloading.