Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Whoops! Opinions on this u-joint angle, please... (pic)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Looks like I miscalculated the pinion angle when I had the rear spring perches welded on. I have 4 degrees at the pinion yoke with a CV shaft, what do you guys think my odds of having vibes are?

[​IMG] </font color>

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I think you'll be fine, especially with a CV 'shaft.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm thinkin that I'll be OK too, just wanted someone to back me up on it in case I'm fooling myself. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I got the e-brake installed today too, that sucker is strong! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I agree with zakk, looks to be in the OK range to me...that is a WAG though./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Looks like you might be 3 degrees down. IIRC 1-3 is acceptable...

Rene

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Eh. that shouldn't be too bad. At least its in the right direction, if you accelerate and get spring wrap its going to want to kick the pinion angle up right.?
    I was told when welding the spring perches it is desirable to weld it with the pinion angle like 1 degree down to compensate for that unless you have some sort of traction bar. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I put an angle finder to it, it's actually 3.75 degrees down if you want to be exact. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I've heard that between 1 and 3 is where you want it to make up for axlewrap on accelleration. Hopefully it's OK, the whole thing is going to change anyways when I redo the rear suspension, I just didn't want to have to buy shims twice. Thanks guys!</font color>

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

At least you measured your angel. I just took a few steps back and said "...uh...that looks about right."
    I have no idea exactly what angle it is at (somewhere just below in line with the d-shaft with a CV) and it has no vibes.

8. tRustyK5

That's more or less how I did mine..."Wild-Ass-Guess", no CV and no vibes./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've heard statisticians call that the SWAG method. Scientific Wild Ass Guess. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. tRustyK5

LOL...my method was too lame to be bestowed with the word "Scientific". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

hey not to jump off topic here but I wanted to know where you get one of those angle finders?

12. tRustyK5

I've seen em at Home Depot for $15 or so...

Rene

13. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Harbor Freight for like $5.99 is where I have seen them cheap...of course you can ante up for one from the Depot like Rene said or spend like $70 or more to get a digital /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Chris

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I got mine for about $12 or so from Sears. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

15. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Hey, if the angle turns out to be too much, throw some softer springs on there so it will wrap more /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Honestly though, I second, er third, er whatever the "ok" on the angle, but you never know.. decelleration may get you.

16. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i was guessing 4. guess i have a better eye than i though.
    i think it will be fine. and get a 2 or so degree shim when ya do your rear suspension. but im sure ya already knew that.
    grant
    ps, nice drive shaft by the way.

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> When I redo the rear suspension the angle is going to radically change anyways. Not sure of exactly what I'm going to do other than that I will be using 63" late model springs. I'm sure that I'll do a shackle flip of some kind, I'm leaning towards the Springer setup at the moment and considering shortening the wheelbase a little bit, but I want to see how it does set up like this first. Whatever I do will surely make the angle way off from where it's at now anyways, so I'll be shimming it at that time. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif</font color>

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Where can you get a digital and how accurate are they? A digital is more what I was thinking.

19. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't you have some 2" blocks in there that jason made for you as well or am i mistaken?
    Instead of putting some wedge shims in there, you could take the blocks back out and have willyswanter or a machine shop to mill the bottom of the blocks so it has a 2 degree angle in it to make up for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Ryan, that's a good idea, I don't know why I didn't think of it! Good Dawg, you get a cookie. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif They're about a 1/4" too tall anyways, so that would work perfect. Hmmmm, looks like I need to book some time on my father-in-law's mill. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'll probably test drive it first to see if it's going to be a problem, but if it is then I will go that route. </font color>