Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whoops

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Sep 30, 2006.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

rolled my truck down a hill and ended up on its side against a tree. smashed the front right fender, the a-pillar and the windshield went with it. it was too dark for pics of the roll but Ill put up some carnage pics when I get them developed. the a-pillar is bent in pretty bad but me and my friends are gonna try and straighten it out enough to put a new windshield in. anyone have experience doing this? have any advice or tips? I really dont wanna go through the trouble of swaping in a new cab if possible cause this is the only damage to my cab.

2. big dan

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

body damage :eek1: :bow: :saweet: :hack:

4. big dan

yes indeed. next weekend we're gonna straighten up the a-pillar and put in new glass so it will be street legal again. then we're gonna work on makin it convertable.:D
    also notice that amongst all the damage, the passenger side mirror survived without even a scratch. the glass and all is still completely intact.

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

at least the door is an easy fix. just get another one.

I swapped a cab. its not fun or easy. they are really heavy even after you strip everything out.

6. big dan

yeah Ill prolly get a new door cause that one is tweaked pretty bad. I think we can get the cab fixed good enough to get new glass in it and I dont care what it looks like, I beat on it anyway, I just need it to be street legal.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd graft in a new 'A' pillar. Much easier than trying to striaghten that mess out. Those pillars are about three thick layers.

Truck I got from TX a few years back had a fuXXored 'A' pillar. The body had been loaded onto a trailer with a forklift, and the dumbass hit one of the 'A' pillars with a fork. I inherited the problem when I bought the truck. Cut the damaged portion out, weld in a donor and call it good.

Rene

8. big dan

I will prolly go back and weld in a new pillar when we cut the top off. right now I need to get a windsheild in quick cause this is my dd. I know I should do it right the first time but Ive gotta have this truck to drive to school and work and finding a donor and putting in the pillar would take too long. not to mention I dont have the money at the moment.