Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

whoot!!! found a fi 350 from a 96 chevy.....worth the headache

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Jan 20, 2004.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

My buddy has his rolled 96 chevy and about 106,000 miles on it. I am very interested but I am kind of scard since the motor is not a tbi set up.

Just to double check, this should have no sensors for the tranny right?

I assume the t-400 will bolt up..that would be a +

for 600 bucks I can get everything, but I am honestly affraid of a swap like this, it sounds very intimidating and since time is a factor I may have to pass up /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

What would you do? He doesn't want to sell it but he would give into the cash /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I think if I did this I may have to get a cheap car for a little while as this could take some time to do it right. But that would be a plus. And this kills two birds with one stone..FI and a new motor.

But I have not read of any body on hear doing this /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

just wondering, I need to reserch this more before I jump the gun though /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would buy it, drop it in, bolt a carb to it, use an electric fuel pump, and keep the fuel injection until you have time to install it and make it work.

I don't know if I'd use a stock Vortec system though, OBD II is too hard to swap in (too needy).

3. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Yeah id buy it and put a carbed dome and carb on it and call it done. Then youve got a roller cammed vortec headed engine. I bet it would work pretty decent too.

4. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I just got done putting in a 99 5.7 vortec in my truck. In fact just took it through emissions and got current tags for it today! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif If you have the donar truck to get all of the parts then it's pretty easy to put in with the fuel injection. You've got the perfect year for a donar vehicle. No anti-theft and no enhanced EVAP. It took me a while to find a cheap way to get around these issues. And you know what the biggest reason why is, I'm local and don't mind helping out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Ask Harley how much he likes the TPI system. Probably not as much power as your use to but instant throttle response, will run upside down, decent mpg's. Anyway PM me if your want to talk about it more.

Mike

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Tranny is going to be electronically controlled, and the ECM will "look" for it.

OBD2 is a trickey animal, you won't get much help swapping the stuff in as a result. It's been done, but with a time constraint, I wouldn't try it. If you knew what you were getting into beforehand, sure, but with almost no help on tap, it will take awhile to figure out how best to approach the numerous issues. Main one being the wiring harness, believe the Vortec trucks wiring harnesses were pretty much integral, whereas at least the early TBI and TPI stuff was almost standalone.

I don't know as I'd waste time buying it and carbing it. You'll end up paying for parts you may never use, (plus ifyou do go back to FI, then you've got a carbed intake you can't use anymore) and you can carb and put Vortec heads on any 350 you find. Besides, to install a carb, then go back later and swap it back to FI is a waste of time IMO. Do it once, do it right.

Don't misinterpret that...I'm not saying FI is right for everyone, but if you are going to go with a Vortec engine, why not keep it Vortec? A Vortec minus FI isn't any different than any other carbed SBC since the heads are so common. Besides, if you want FI, why not do it when the engine is already out?

$600 isn't a real steal for any 350 that runs, but if you can trust the guy that it is good, thats worth something. Of course, a rebuilt 350 can be had for as little as $800, and even a "good" one can be had for $1200 or so.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, so the "help" issue is taken care of. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. supersize75

ahhh you just filled my worry jar to the top /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

shoot at this point I could just buy the truck and swap the 1 tons under it....hmmmm leather /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

It sounds like a worthwhile swap, but it will take you some time from the sound of it. You really should get a cheap DD, that'd take some pressure off your truck projects.

9. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I was gonna say just swipe the heads, but I don't think they'll work very well on your 454. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

10. supersize75

I have a couple of sets of 350 heads, but I just found a diesel , I am going to go look at it tonight, its a 6.5 turbo, with 130,000 on the clock /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

but if I get it I will be broke as a joke /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

p.s. what the hell does that saying mean, it makes no sence. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6.5 decent enough motor? I have never even been in a truck with a deisel /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

11. supersize75

mike I run a t-400, unless there is a way around that I am dead in the water /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

12. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

If it bolt up there is a way around it. Just not sure how much that will cost. More than likely finding a computer from a 96 that was on a standard tranny. Not easy but not impossible either.

Mike

13. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Trans should bolt right up lots of ls1/lt1 guys run t350s/t400s I imagine the vortech will bolt right up too. You should be able to trick the computer about the trans by either reflashing the pcm or using a manual trans pcm. The only thing that stopped me from going fi was I needed the truck back on the road. this summer it will be getting fi.
    If you have
    A. Time
    B. patiance
    C. the money
    Id do it, fi swaps into older cars are not difficult, just a pita, Hardest part will be the fuel system.

14. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

I just got my Blazer back from a guy that has done these before. I didn't know enough of how to do it, so I paid him to do it. I didn't have the time for it, and it took him a while. It was definitely worth the time and $. He told me it needed to be a 96 or 97 because of the security issues. We did a lot of looking to find the right one. It needs to be complete, computer, alternator, flywheel, Y-pipe, or at least the computer. You'll get nickeled and dimed to death for the parts if not. I didn't realize how much I hate carburetor's! The power and response is awesome also.

15. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

well if you dont want it i will I just blew up my 350 and need an new one /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. supersize75

Hossbaby50 has a "NICE" 350 in his yard I use to have in my blazer......

how about...1 million dallers..bwahahahah bwhahaha /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

17. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

sure just let me pull that million right out my a$$ /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

18. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

Go with the Vortec it's fun!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif