Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's 700R4?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CR, Mar 31, 2004.

1. CR

CR Registered Member

Who\'s 700R4?

Need a new 700R4. Any experiences with Raptor ,Monster,etc. Pro's and Con's. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. bushmaster

bushmaster 1/2 ton status

Re: Who\'s 700R4?

i have the raptor with the tourque drive kit havnt run it yet. sales and shipping were great .just tell them not to paint case with bumper chrome /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm still running my stocker and it's still working alright (knock on wood), so I don't have any personal experience with the subject.

But, from what I've heard:
    Stay away from Raptor...trouble both with their trannies and service.
    These guys are pretty good.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

There has been a few here on this site that have had trouble with Raptors.
    700r4.com (Bowtie overdrives) Makes a good tranny. A buddy of mine bought one 2 years ago and its holding up just fine.

Go to the 73-91 forum and do a search on "Raptor" There is a Ton of info there.

5. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

i ordered a bowtie (700r4) level two last week - i should receive the tranny in about 5 days. their service has been outstanding so far. i have downloaded some of their install write ups and they appear to be very detailed. they even split shipping costs with me. i will post once it arrives... i have never removed or installed a tranny but i am going to go for it...

6. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

I've had a BowtieOverdrives Level 3 in my K5 for over a year now. No probs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

I also have a level 3 Bowtie. Works fine so far. Had a bit of a time trying to keep it cool with a 454. Runs a little warmer than they recommend, 150* /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Anyway it seems to work fine. You may want to but a low stall speed converter. I got mine from them and it seems a little slow off the line (1600RPM stall), but that may because of my 3.42 gears. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I don't know that much about stall converters so you may not want to listen to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Jet 700R w/Hayden cooler...I've run the pee outta it for about 5 yrs now with nary a whimper...shifts crisp, very driveable in traffic, I feel like it's one the better investments I've made so far... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You may want to but a low stall speed converter. I got mine from them and it seems a little slow off the line (1600RPM stall), but that may because of my 3.42 gears.

[/ QUOTE ]

the higher the stall the faster you take off. i run a 1600 stall and 3.42 and it goes preaty well but i have stock tires.

SOME of the little tranny shops can build a excelent 700r4. like me /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have been running a raptor for 3+ years now, not a single problem yet.

j

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I also have a level 3 Bowtie. Works fine so far. Had a bit of a time trying to keep it cool with a 454. Runs a little warmer than they recommend, 150* /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Anyway it seems to work fine. You may want to but a low stall speed converter. I got mine from them and it seems a little slow off the line (1600RPM stall), but that may because of my 3.42 gears. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I don't know that much about stall converters so you may not want to listen to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    3.42's would be part of your temp problem. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I bet it would run cooler with 4.10's or something.

K5,
    Where are you located? I had mine beefed up big time by a buddy of mine that owns a local shop here in town. Hipinion just had his built identical to mine by my buddy's shop and he is very happy with it's performance. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. CR

CR Registered Member

rjfguitar: I am in N.C.

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    rjfguitar: I am in N.C.

[/ QUOTE ]
    nevermind /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif