Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's Been to Rockport?

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by K30CJ, Jul 12, 2006.

1. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

From Rockport's web site:

"As of June 29, 2006 the TALLDOG and BACK 40 trails will no longer be available for trail riding at the park.

Rockport Off-Road Park has new property 4 miles south of Hannibal off of Hwy 61. This is going to be a new riding area for Jeeps/Trucks and SUVs. It borders Injun Joes Campgrounds. We will announce the opening of this property soon."

Who's been to Rockport lately? I'm thinking about checking it out soon, and wondered if anyone has the scoop on the harder trails there. I called the park to ask if there were still plenty of tough trails to keep us busy for 2-3 days, since they said two were closed. She said yes, and was very helpful. She said they could also take us to other land away from the main park if we had a large enough group. I'd like to hear what there is for truly hard trails, and any tips you might have. I don't want to tow 250 miles and find that the trails could have been done with my tow rig.:D

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

For truly hard trails there is one called Beggars Gulch that is tough. It is a trail with a section strewn of large boulders and rocks. Their rock garden is nice and well laid out. Hardly 2-3 days worth of wheeling though. I guess the land that they have off site is a full 8 hours of hard wheeling. I have never seen it but I guess it is real tough.

As for their new quarry, I didn't think it was going to be wheel-able for a while until they cleaned up the trees and stuff.

Personally I would drive an extra 500 miles and go to Disney OK for 2-3 days worth of wheeling. I think the folks who run RORP are great people and very nice but it really isn't a super great place to wheel.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Agreed.

I personally think you will just blow through everything in a day at rockport and that is taking it easy. There idea of "hard" trails is a bit different from most other peoples. You will be bored by the second day and will probobally find yourself trying to find something amusing on the rocks to keep you occupied for the rest of the weekend. Ive heard good things about the offsite property, but last trip we were there we didnt quite make it out for that, as we were leaving when they were heading out there.

Its a fun place to go, and before the land got closed i would have strongly recomended it for a nice day or two of wheeling, but dont go there expecting alot of hardcore trails. Especially if its dry. You can't run them in your tow rig, but they wont be to terrible of a challenge in your CJ either. Theres quite a few pics of the park in my webshots albums if you want to check out what some of the trails look like.

4. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Would you say that Rockport is better or worse than Cliffs? how about Badlands? Badlands is the only place I have been to.

5. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I appreciate the input from you guys. You have me wondering if I should change plans, or at the least make sure we can go to the off-site land. I say 2-3 days, but taking travel time out, we'll actually have about 2 days of wheeling. Minus major breakage.:D I'll check out the pics.

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

The cliffs, while alot smaller acreage wise, has alot more trails than rockport, and alot more difficult trails. I still love the variety the badlands offers, but ravine wheelin' at the cliffs is a blast. Especially now that they have been working on their rock stuff.

7. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I agree, we go the Badlands the most, because it's the closest, and I like the variety. I totally agree about the Cliffs ravines too. My son and I took just the quads to the Cliffs once, and got bored quickly. For the Jeep though, it's cool when wet. Supposedly we can get in with a group to go to some off site trails near Rockport Saturday, but I wonder how technical they are.....

8. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Anyone been to the badlands website recently? If you look on the photo gallery on page 2, there's a picture of me in my blazer, its near the end.

9. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

You described it perfectly, Joe. The trails at the main park are not that tough. We tried every one. It was pretty dry this weekend though. There was a short rain Friday evening and that was it. If it were wet, it would be a lot more fun. A lot of the trails were do-able in 2 high. Beggar's Gulch has one fun spot, but I wouldn't call it tough. Twister is fun. The rock area near the office is pretty cool. Something for everyone there. I tried one of the worst (best?) ones - with the big tires in it - and finished off an already broken and welded front leaf pack. At least it happened Sunday afternoon.

If you get a chance to go to the Atlas trail, go. This one is a couple miles from the main park, and is more what we were looking for. We spent all day Saturday there. It was more like Mission Impossible, but not as much tough stuff. Lots of deep ravines and one particularly tough spot with muddy rocks and rock ledges on a steep climb that appears to never dry out. I flopped my rig on it's side there. They said I wasn't the first.:crazy:

The main thing that left a big impression was the people. Everyone we met was super friendly and helpful, from the owners to the trail leaders to the locals. They seemed to get a kick out of watching us beat on our junk.:D RORP has the "extras" that are now gone from places like the Badlands. Hopefully they won't have to eliminate them because of jerks that abuse their hospitality. I'm talking about things like nice restrooms, showers, camping and washdown hoses. They even sell ice cream in the office.

There is another new area they are working on near Hannibal, MO that will be tougher yet. I'd say RORP is worth the trip to check it out if you're looking for a change of scenery. I kept forgetting to take my camera on the trail, but took some pics in the parking lot on our way out. You can see my rig leaning from the broken spring.:doah: Now I HAVE to put the new ones in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Do you have Neils old jeep or does Justin,
    I have on video of Neil breaking his leaf by hitting the big mud hole that was back in the woods where they chopped all the trees.
    I hope it wasn't that leaf, hell that's been 7-8 years ago.

I've got this yellow K5 buggy that you may remember, I've got a sbc 355, turbo 400 and NP203 installed in it. Looks like you or justin might need a new body soon. I can help deliver, and it's cheap, need the room here at the house....and one of you need a new project.....Later -Mark

[​IMG]

11. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Hey Mark,

I have Neil's and Justin has Jerry's old Jeep. The set of springs in the front is probably what Neil replaced the broken one with at that time. I just broke the main leaf weekend before last. We did a quick trail weld (main leaf to the second leaf) and made it through the weekend. I bought new BDS Wrangler springs and started to put them in to prepare for the RORP trip. It's going to take new shackle mounts and more driveshaft length, so I added a lot of weld to the old springs and put 'em back in so I could be ready in time. They held up to a lot of flexing until I hit the nasty rock trail, where the second leaf broke completely. Flexed awesome though!

I do remember your buggy and another in your group back then. I think we raced in the sand hill climb together at one of the old Superlift events. IIRC, one of the buggies was pretty fast and beat my Jeep which had the big block back then. I made several attempts and kept dropping tire pressure. They were nearly flat by the end. Remember when I pulled that guy's truck on it's side when I was trying to pull him out of the sand?:eek1: I felt bad, but somebody hooked onto the wrong corner of his truck.

Thanks for the offer, but I have enough projects of my own.:D In fact, I have a newer rust free Wrangler tub with a nice full cage and other tube work ready to replace my crappy old body. That thing was whipped years ago.:crazy: Before that I have to replace the junk mower (died last night), rebuild our two quads, do my front springs...................

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

If you are headed for Disney - boycott it and head for Flat Nasty in Salem, MO. I have been to both and Disney does not compare. You will NOT be dissapointed. www.flatnasty.net

Not saying anything negative about RORP - I have been there and enjoyed it as well. I can't wait to check out their Hannibal facility.

13. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Yeah, we talked to some other guys at RORP who had been to Flat Nasty and they said it was an awesome place. We'd like to try and get down there either later this year, or next year. The Hannibal site sounds like it will be a good time as well.

14. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Yes, I think Flatnasty will be our next big trip.:D