Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's converted to serpintine system?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Jan 18, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Who\'s converted to serpintine system?

JUst curious who here has converted to the serpintine belt system on their truck...I was pondering the idea and wanted to know if you felt it was worth the expense and what advantages/improvement have you noticed?

Thanks

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

2. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Re: Who\'s converted to serpintine system?

If you can get it cheap, go for it! Real nice. I had a line on a set up last summer, but waited to long and lost it. Will still do it someday though.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

3. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

My 88 is serp, except for the alternator, which incidentallty was missing when I got the rig. Is 87 the same way?

John

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'm fully serpentine on my '79 with a TPI top end and IROC serpentine setup off a '90 on my 406 motor. NIce setup, only need one belt (and yeah, I guess that means if that belt goes you are done). Pics below...........It was worth it to me as I spent $150 for the full setup including all the accessories to include a '98 AC compressor. Used my Wrangler NW alternator and converted its nose piece over to the serpentine.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't forget to change the water pump and fan also. They both spin the opposite direction with the factory serpentine setups. I personally wouldn't bother to convert it, because I've been stranded by a seized alternator bearing on a serpentine equipped engine. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

6. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

i cant see the benefits of it? i got 1 belt for the alternator, and one for the power steering. what is the man reason to convert??? i think it'd be tought to power my soon to come air compressor, and where do you put the tensioner?

beligerence doesn't justify intelligence.
    <font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Serp set up is ext on my list. I'll use 89 up factory parts. I have all but the w/p,pwr st pump &amp; fan. Pritty soon though...
    Jim

88 Silverado K5 5.7-700R-208-10 bolts-4.56-35in
    Procomp AT's- some ORD stuff & a CV driveshaft

8. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

I just changed to the GM kit which is about 300 with the water pump. Reuse the PS pump even have the onboard air driven off the same belt.

72 Blazer 400TPI NV4500 NP203/205, 6 bolt FF14
    01 Suburban 8100 2500 4X4

9. lasvegas

lasvegas 1/2 ton status

ALthough it is not the REAL serpentine like the GM one, I installed a complete March Performance "serpentine" system. The advantages are that NOTHING slips, ever and it is super easy to adjust. Also it looks cool. I wanted that GM system but both the dealer and the 4x shop I trust here in town said that they had problems with it? That would be my first choice if I had not been sort of set up to worry about it, especially if you can get it for $300.

10. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Had the March kit hated it. The belt never stayed tite, Little things like to change the PS pump out you have to buy a new pully for 85.00. The GM kit is much better and cheaper

72 Blazer 400TPI NV4500 NP203/205, 6 bolt FF14
    01 Suburban 8100 2500 4X4

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

My 88 is serp, except for the alternator, which incidentallty was missing when I got the rig. Is 87 the same way?

<hr></blockquote>

Yes, one serp around the crank, alt, and water pump, and the rest v's. The stick trucks ran a smog pump off a v, I think it only goes around the pump and water pump. Autos have no smog pump.

I thought about converting, but will keep the v-belts since you can still get home after loosing an accesory. I had to drive home from Alamosa (~4 hours) once after loosing a power steering hose (bought a new one, but had to pull the pump to install it and didn't have time). Pulled out my knife, cut the belt off, and was on my way. On the other hand, I had to tow my buddies car one day after the alternator froze up. He pulled the belt (single serp) off at my house and had to stop halfway to his house to let the motor cool off, since the water pump wasn't turning.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd