Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's done a body lift? *more added*

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Jan 12, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Who\'s done a body lift? *more added*

Ok guys fill me in on the headaches and what troubles I'm gonna run into when I decide to do this. Only gonna do a 2" when it comes around but I want to know what to buy ahead of time. Also what kits are the most complete. or am I better off buying a cheaper one and buying the bolts elsewhere.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by LKJR on 02/26/02 11:51 PM.</FONT></P>

2. wrath

wrath 1/2 ton status

Re: Who\'s done a body lift?

I'm getting ready to put a 3" in my 70K5 but have done a 3" in my 86K5 and the dilemmas I encountered included lengthening the steering column shaft by burning out the little plastic pins,raising bumpers(sometimes supply brackets with kit), have to cut bottom of fan shroud,sometimes have to cut front of shifter hump to be able to lock down into 4 lo....thats about it

70K5 350ci.350/205 "PROJECT 40"BOGGERS" It runs and its clean !!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OurMudToys/the70k5blazer.msnw>http://communities.msn.com/OurMudToys/the70k5blazer.msnw</a>

3. wrath

wrath 1/2 ton status

oh, they give you a added piece for your clutch rod to lengthen that..mine was a Performance Accessories body lift and it was complete for $69.99 that was a few years ago tho..ad is in any 4x mag..

70K5 350ci.350/205 "PROJECT 40"BOGGERS" It runs and its clean !!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OurMudToys/the70k5blazer.msnw>http://communities.msn.com/OurMudToys/the70k5blazer.msnw</a>

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Firts take off the clutch rod and lengthen it the same amount you are doing your lift.(leave it off until the lift is installed)Loosen the filler hose on the gas tank, with two inches the column should be okay, remember to do one side at a time because realigning the body sucks, make sure the transfer case will shift into low range after the lift, (you may have to lengthen the hole for the shifter because the shifter will be closer to the body when in low range), don't cut the bottom out of the shroud for the fan but cut the middle and lenthen it if need be, make sure the wiring harness on the firewall has enough slack to lift the body, make sure the license plate light wire is long enough if the wires are attached to the body, keep an eye on the fuel gauge sending unit wires too, you may need to readjust the idle before you fire the engine up because the pedal is body mounted and the rest of the linkage is engine mounted (if it is cable operated no change). Watch the brake lines from the master cylinder to the frame to make sure none of the coils pinch or crease.

That should cover most of it, I may have missed something, bear in mind I don't know what year you are putting this lift on so I explained it like the 79 I did. (except the throttle linkiage thing) Good luck and be careful.

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=)

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun31?&page=1>BLAZER PICS</a>

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

depends if you are running auto or manual. I got my 2" body lift from Performance Accessories. I think it was from summit. anyhow the only thing i had to change was adjustment of the shifter rod on my auto linkage and... the bumpers will look a bit off. the front wont look that bad. the rear will have a big gap in it. there is really nothing else i can think of. you;ll love the extra space between the frame and the body. makes working on your blaz a lot easier. i don't even open my hood to change the spark plugs :-)

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

BODY LIFT??? WTF? why dont you just replace the body mounts and run a susp lift. Once you deal with all the hassles of a body lift, you're only talking maybe $50 more for a suspension lift. You probably need new shocks anyways, and new springs cant hurt on a 30 year old rig. What's that dry caliente climate doing to you out there anyway???

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Cause a 4" suspension dosen't alter the geometry and rides / flexes better than a 6" from my knowledge. and it keeps the CG down a bit more. At least my ride is/was running. LOL

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

8. 69K10

69K10 Registered Member

Save money use hockey pucks. Buy longer bolts, drill the center of the pucks. They work great and are nearly indestructable. We buy pucks by the case.

69K10, 350,4spd, Pwr Brakes, Pwr Steering

9. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Hockey pucks huh? only problem I see there is I"d have to stack them to acheive 2" and don't know about safety issues with stacking those to hold the body.....anyone have comments on this matter? But none the less how much we talking for these pucks? why are you buying them by the case? are they wearing on a regular basis or something?

Like em big and topless

10. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

You're right. They're not safe stacked. Get stuff that's the correct thickness in one piece.

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Dude, like body lifts are high dolla or something. Do it once and right. I've heard 4x4's work great though!!!

LMAO

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

12. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Another Question here, All the pucks should be the same size in a 2" body lift correct? Is there anything special about the pucks? Why couldn't someone take some kind of material like a stiff poly and cut off pieces at 2" and drill a hole in the center for the bolt? Is there some kind of relief for the bushing or does it just set right on that?
    thanks for all the help guys you make this board what it is

Like em big and topless