Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's done the serpentine thing.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cmoe, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Who's done it...... Who has + & - to tell us...... I like the look of it and want to find one out of a K5 or a Suburban.... What did you use?

2. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Most everything is a bolt on experience (less one hole that you may have to drill in one of your heads, depends on the head. Scary business as far as I am concerned, lol)

You will need to do some wiring to get the newer alternator to work, and depending on your truck, you may need to get an AC delete pulley (unless of course you are cheap like me, and just leave the compressor on there).

If you ask me, its well worth your time and effort, serpentine is just so much better than vbelts, not to mention the fact that the 105 amp alternator is a big boost over the stock 63 amp units...

Look for DirtyLarry's post near the bottom of this thread, there is a lot of very good information about serpentine setups in here...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php3?t=132141

3. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I did it, it didnt really involve much. Just swapped in a 6.0 vortec and it sort of came with it............................you know you want to.

Remington

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my burb came factory with it. I however just swapped in an older two piece rear main motor. There is one hole missing on the passenger side head for the bracket. I did not drill and tap it though I heavily considered it. From the factory their are two steel support rods that go from the intake in two different spots to the tensioner assembly. This assembly is directly above the missing bolt so I simply said screw it. No problems yet. My favorite thing about serpentine is simple, one belt that you don't have to adjust. Its SO easy to change a belt(as long as you aren't week), and all you do is carry your old maybe worn one as a spare in case anything happens to yours. Some would call one belt a disadvantage but I must say I really like it. I have a smaller alternator. Its something like 75 Amps. It is a factory piece. My burb came with only two options, spare tire, and 3/4 ton.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I like the fact that it has a larger alternator. I got the kit from GM Performance parts, because I wanted all new accessories and their kits include all new rebuilt AC Delco accessories.

As far as the missing bolt on some heads. It says on the instructions that you if the bolt hole is not there you just don't use it. There is a brace for the back of the alternator that ties in with one of the intake manifold bolts, and there is another on the passenger side that ties into one of the exhaust manifold bolts.

You will have to get a new water pump, because the serpentine setup uses the reverse rotation water pump. If you are using a regular fan you'll need a new one of those in the reverse rotation variety, and IIRC a fan clutch if you're using one of those also.

I like the serpentine belt setup. I think honestly I like it most for the neat factor.:laugh:

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    A friend of mine recently did the serpentine thing and obtained most of his parts from an S-10. Not sure what year. He has a SBC.

7. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

I also got the kit from gm performance parts. All the brackets worked out good and i was missing one hole in the cylinder head. The only problem that i ran into was the fact that i got two bad alt. In a row so i upgraded to a powermaster and its been good ever since.

8. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I run a setup from a 91 caprice police car and love it. High output alternator, one belt to worry about, and I think the brackets are way stronger for wheeling than stamped steel jobs.

9. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

GM Performance parts too for me. All worked out very good!

barnmisc 002 copy.JPG

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I really like the serp system I put on my '77. Its from a 1989 suburban. If you buy used, replace the idler pulley and tensioner if there are any questions of their condition.

One negative not mentioned. The power steering pump pulley must be pulled and installed everytime you want to remove the drivers side bracket. That shouldn't happen very often, but if you don't have the tools, be sure to buy a good quality pulley remover (you wont regret it).

11. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

My bling bling serpentine :D

[​IMG]

12. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

AK Bandit,
    That is one of the prettiest engines I have seen in a long time. The brackets and pulleys are they the ones from Summit?

13. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Thank you...The whole setup is made by March Performance. It came with all the pulleys, brackets, tensioners, and mounting hardware. It wasnt cheap though :doah:

14. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Thats what a friend said also. I have never had to pull my powersteering pump pulley, actually just pulled both brackets off and pulled the motor last weekend with the pulley on the pump. BUT, when I went to the junkyard with a buddy to get him a setup of a newer work truck, we had to pull the pulley? I will have to get his setup next to mine to see why I can leave my pulley on. Maybe the cop car used a smaller pulley? It doesn't look like it though.

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

:bow:

Have you mounted the belt to see how the alignment is?

I know my buddy bought a serpentine setup for his BBC with A/C and the alighnment left alot to be desired (although the pulleys and brackets were pretty).

16. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Yep, I have both belts mounted. They line up perfectly. After I bought my setup, I started reading about people having issues with the pulleys not lining up. That's alot of coin to throw down for something that doesnt fit right. I even almost cancelled my order. I'm glad I didnt because I couldnt be happier with the setup.

17. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

You would'nt say that if you have seen as many broken ones as I have. Not sure why they break ( bad tensioner maybe? ). But I've sold a lot of used ones.

18. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the car ones are most likly difrent in lots of ways. the truck ones have a hidden bolt behind the pump housing that needs the pump out of the way to get at.

19. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

On the stock one this is true but the GM Performance one is different. Also note though that with the GM Perf one you can't use the Kilby Enterprises OBA brackets as the ancilleries are in slightly different places to the stock set up.