Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's going to Tellico?

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by ZonkRat, Feb 18, 2003.

1. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Who\'s going to Tellico?

Had to put something new in here.Y'all come on to Tellico.Springs the best time of year to be there.You can see more than the trees.If you've never been,you need to come.I'll be there for nearly 2 weeks,my me break.If your not up for the hard stuff I'll be glad to show some easier trails.Been going since 88 and there's a lot to see there besides just hard stuff.good trout fishing too.Hope to see bunch of y'all there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Sorry bout that.Was refering to K5 KRAWL end of Apr.

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Re: Who\'s going to Tellico?

someone has to tell me exactly where this place is...Murphy, NC means nothing to me....Where in NC is that??

just fine tuning the plans...but seems like a heck of a long weekend away from the family!

Brandy

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

TN/NC line, Nantahalla Nat Forest, outside Murphy, NC. That help? If you want to go I'll give you real directions.

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I have a few things to "fine tune"...but I really do...I'll be flying in by the looks of things...no way am I going to drive my K5 down there by myself...

Grim said atlanta or chattanooga?....

Brandy

5. bigjbear

When? CK5 ride? SFWDA clean up? Dixie Run? Club runs? Not trying to hijack your post but it makes it eaiser if you add a litte detail. One more"?" Whats your name, or do you go by Zonk? We been chattin' for a while & I was wondering.

6. bigjbear

You can fly into either one, but more of us live around ATL. I'm at the airport everyday. (Fly Delta /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, just kidding but it makes me happy when people do)

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Well, more than likely I'll be coming in sometime Thursday...then leaving on Monday. Also, I won't be roughing it...best western here I come...I'll know more by the end of the week. if I fly into Atlanta- I'll use Delta..they are the ones with non-stops from CT....

Brandy

8. bigjbear

Let me know if you need a ride. If you are staying at the airport you won't need one, though. They all have shutles from the airport to the hotel. I don't know if anyone is staying in a hotel once we get up there. Your best bet may be to stay at the cabins. If someone is staying in town or you plan on getting a rental car, the Holiday Inn Express in Murphy very nice. Shoot me a PM or e-mail jbear4x4@bellsouth.net if you need anything, like I said I'm there every day.

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

okay small change of plans- I'm driving down.........

mapquest tells me 1045 miles- sounds about right...so I'm coming down 95....whats the best route to ge there from 95??

will be arriving Thursday- (leaving home wednesday night...and then heading out on Monday morning...how far is the Best Western in Murphy from where you guys are all staying?

and no I'm not driving the K5...will be arriving in comfort...the duramax gets much better mileage

Brandy

10. bigjbear

I don't know coming from that direction, but if I had to guess w/o looking at a map I would say I95-I85-I40- then take that to 19 or 64, but I don't have a clue on what exit. The problem w/ Murphy is its the closest town, but its not close to the trails. I don't know if anyone else is "camping" at the Best Western (I would recomend the Holiday Inn Express) but if you come down we will get you to the ride. You can drive the D'max down Trail 1, its a gravel road, easily driven by cars.
    NOTE: Do not stay at the Econo Lodge-it has been taken over by dog sized bugs!!!

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Holiday Inn it is then........would take my K5, but dont want to get stuck in NYC with something broken....with the D/A I can just stop in a dealer and get it fixed..

I'll check the holiday inn out tonight...sounds good......

thanks again
    Brandy

12. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Tried to create map,but,printer won't work.Check under Tellico O H V area.There's a good map there.If your coming I95 come down to I85.Take I85 to I40 W past Ashville and then 19 will bring you into Murphy NC.There are several good motels there.There is small motel in Green Cove Tn, that is only a few miles from trails and also some cabins in area.Will try to get more info soon.Tellico Plains Tn also has several places to stay.They also have info on web. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif{ The easiest way to get info on Tellico is simply call it up on web and browse through list.Tellico OHV area has good list of motels,cabins and campgrounds in the area.Other sites in list have maps to the area and maps of the trails with difficulty ratings.This is the easiest way to get info on area,Hope it helps }/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. bigjbear

Unless they updated the difficulty ratings recently, they will be way off. Lots of changes last year.

14. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

The ratings haven't changed in several years,whike the trails have.They'll give an idea of which ones to try.4,5,6 and 8 are usually passable with most vehicles.You just have to expect stockers to have to do a little roadbuilding sometimes and they're goind to drag the bottoms some too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. bigjbear

You know 5 is almost paved now, right?

16. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Yea ,they had started doing it last Apr.Have they built the bridge yet?If they keep improving the trails for the weenie rigs they'll be putting blacktop on them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI remember when you could cross the river at Trl #5&1 intersection.Didn't have nearly as much traffic in area either.Guess they got to figure how to get 4X4 OTY Lexus over them. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. bigjbear

not yet, but they keep saying its coming

18. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i would like to check this out. i dont think i am ready to trail it , but i would like to see whats involved.

can anyone say "road trip " /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

ummm yeah- mines gonna be 17 hours long if I dont drive the K5- and if I do- well, we're not even gonna think about that!!!

Brandy

20. Orange Crush

Orange Crush 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm going to Tellico.I'M new to this sight but I've been wanting to go there 4 ever.Hope strangers are welcome.I'm bringing the warden with me . What better birthday present for her than pulling my winch cable.Last time I went wheelin the Blazer was stock.I went to Uwharrie and it was pretty tame. I know this will be totally different though. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif