Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's gone through this many batteries? I love scrap days.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 16, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

25 batteries... 24 at $1.25 each and 1 at $.50... so I got just over $30 from all my old batteries.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I brought in my scrap radiator cores too... less than 10 radiators... 231 lbs at $.45 per lb... I got $103.95 for my scrap radiators. To think if almost half of them werent stolen, I coulda got nearly $200.

Oh well, getting $135 out of junk I've been saving in my garage makes me happy.

2. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

I can hear the banjos playing in the background right now :D

3. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

What kinda place did you take the batteries that paid you?

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

There's gold in them thar batteries!

Where I am,I dont think they pay for junk batteries-(unless they changed lately--I remember getting 5.75 for a regular group 24 car battery in 1978 at a job I had hauling scrap!)-they just let you leave them there,and they get the money for recycling them--same at the landfill,you can bring only 1 at a time free--K-mart would pay 1 dollar each,but you had to call ahead and see if they could accept any at the moment--they usually had 100 batteries already--now they went out of business in my town--nearest one is 15 miles away....

If I had a place giving a dollar a battery,I could probably make a hundred bucks tomorrow,between all the ones I have here,and the 50 or more at the junkyard my friend runs thats closing--they are all over the place!!...I like this scrap being worth somthing again stuff--almost makes it worth cleaning up the place,not like a year ago,when you could junk a whole car,and get hardly 15 bucks,not even gas money,or a cup of coffe--now its almost worth risking a ticket hauling a heavy load of scrap in--the local fuzz love to pull over the average Joe's with car trailers and overloaded trucks...the more you take-the more they take....:frown1:

5. corradofreek

corradofreek 1/2 ton status

i have a place that takes them for $5 a battery, steel is $110 per ton and aluminium is around .75$ per lb

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

$110 a ton for steel? Damn, 2 years ago it was $20!

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The crushathon has begun...

Yup--its 75-80 bucks a ton around here for steel--copper is 80 cents a pound,aluminum is 37 cents a pound(as of last week anyway)...Now you guys know why I've been telling you all if you want to buy an older truck to fix up,or for parts,or get any parts from the junkyards,you'd better hurry--all the stuff around here is drying up fast as far as the 1988 and older trucks and cars--and many decent trucks better than mine have been scrapped recently--people dont bother with the hassle of an ad in the paper or trying to sell them when they can get nealy 300 just to scrap them.....I guess my being a pack-rat might actually pay off for once--all I know is one local junkyard closed its gates to all customers just to do nothing but haul out cars and trucks for scrap--the owner said he will likely make over a million bucks this week just clearing some of the "overflow" out of his 85 acre yard..and among the "overflow" was an 86 4x4 diesel burb,several 4x4 GM pickups,and even a few 6x6 military rigs with rockwell axles and running gear--:frown1:

Now if I could only get a few more trips to the scrapyard in my 74 and cash in my pile of junk in the yard,and possibly the truck itself too,after I strip what I want off of it--I could pay my insurance for 3 months for the other 2 trucks....:thinking: