Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's got a 383 and deals with emissions??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CaveBlazin, Aug 29, 2005.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just like the title states I need to know what you do to pass the sniffer emissions? I have headers and true duals and have not taken the test yet but I dont know if it will pass or not anyone have problems?? Any advice/help would be great. Oh yeah and its nice to be back on the boards in here...

2. CaveBlazin

ANYONE Deal with emissions that have headers??

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

It depends on the emissions you have now and how many miles your motor has. I run true duals with some good converters.

4. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Here in eastern Wa. state we don't deal with emmissions,but on the wet side I used to lean out the carb to pass,if it's any help...

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it's just sniffer testing, no reason it won't pass if it's tuned right. Unless you are in CA, pretty unlikely others have gone through exactly what you are attempting to do. Since the rules vary state to state, it's hard to guess at what you will have to attempt. I mean here we have the emissions test done on a roller dyno, and diesels are smogged, I bet those alone are different than your test...

Visual inspection is another story...true duals in your case is a federal law violation, so unless they do a visual and don't care about that, you'd fail. You say sniffer, so I assume no underhood/undercarriage inspection. We don't have an underhood/undercarriage inspection here.

6. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

sniffer goes in the tailpipe and reads out what the motor's exhaust is like

7. CaveBlazin

All they do here is inspect to see if you have a Cat and then run a tester up your exhaust to test the emissions. If your vehicle is a newer model they just hook it up to a puter. I dont have anything you can hook up to on my rig, thank goodness.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So you have dual cats? Do you know if they will fail you for that, or are they just looking to make sure there is one or more present? (also federally illegal to change quantity of catalytic converter, + OR -)

9. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Basically you can't screw with your exhaust system under federal law. But in some states it's a sniffer and only check for atleast a cat. So you might be lucky. I would like to know how it goes for you as I am moving to the nashvillie area next year and have dual exhaust and headers on the blazer.

10. CaveBlazin

My rig should be ready in about 3 weeks and I'll let you know how the sniffer goes.