Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who's got a Camaro?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Ryan B., Dec 23, 2001.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Who\'s got a Camaro?

Well, I am the proud owner of a (original RS) Camaro. It has a <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/picsoftodds67camaro.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&amp;PhotoID=81>454 +.070" = 469cid (10.7:1 compression), TH-400, shift kit, 3,000 stall, 9" rear, 4:11gears, ladderbars, subframe connectors, driveshaft loop... too much to list here.
    I dig how its an original RS with the hidden headlights, and a few other options that are worth some money... A/C (won't fit with BBC), and the RS fold down back seat.

First dyno it was pinging and detontating with 91 octane + octane booster. I retarded the timing a few degrees to get the detonation to stop, and so I could get a basline dyno number to begin tuning from.
    I pulled <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/Ryans1972Blazer/picsoftodds67camaro.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&amp;PhotoID=253>410.5HP and 422.4 Ft/lbs. TQ</a> at the rear wheels.

I know that some of you K/5ers around here also have a Camaro... So lets hear about it.
    Any other 1st gen's around here?

[REAL MEN DON"T CARE ABOUT GAS MILEAGE OR RAPID TIRE WEAR!]
    Ryan B.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Re: Who\'s got a Camaro?

Congrats on the car. Ive got camaros big brother :) My Firebird has alot of stuff done to it also. BTW did you put yours on a accelerometer or a dynomometer. There is a big difference. One shows real world rear hp and one shows the power you really have at the crank. Was it a single wheel or dual wheel dyno?

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. 79k20

79k20 1/2 ton status

I had a 69' ss. It was all original and needed to be restored. I had big plans for it. I was going for the pro-touring treatment, but i felt bad about cutting it up. I sold it to a friend who is now restoring it. I may look for a plain-jane 69' to work over.

<font color=red>Sean<font color=red>

[​IMG]<font color=red>79 k20(duh) d44, 14bolt, built 350,350,np203,9"lift</font color=red>[​IMG]

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I've got a pretty clean '67 and a '68 (for parts)
    The '67 just a base model, six with a 'glide, bench front seat (that-right, bench front). It's not super clean, but it's pretty nice.
    I plan on keeping it mild-driver, a 327 with a 6" rod (A perfect 1.84 rod to stroke ratio) and fast burn heads would make a extreamy fun ride with a 4 speed. But thats the problem, keeping the bench seat and swap in a 4-speed (or 5-speed)

For now, it sitts in limbo, waiting for some space and time.

<font color=blue>Wow factors
    A SBC at 6,000 RPMs:
    2- The piston travels from O to 60 MPH to 0 in just .005 of a sec. and in just 7 inches.

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Opps, forgot to say. It's cool I'm with some bothaz here.
    First gens are sweet!

<font color=blue>Wow factors
    A SBC at 6,000 RPMs:
    2- The piston travels from O to 60 MPH to 0 in just .005 of a sec. and in just 7 inches.

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Looks like a nice ride. I used to have a 45,000 mile orginal 70 Z28. I still miss that car to death.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

DesertDueler...
    I will find out...
    I believe it's a dynomometer and it has one big roller about 5 foot in diameter.

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    Ryan B.

8. ABO

ABO Registered Member

Just wondering, to bore out a 454 to .070 over do you have to get the block sonic tested or fill the jackets?

<font color=green> ABO </font color=green>
    <font color=red> 88 K5<font color=blue>----</font color=blue>on 35's </font color=red>

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I've got a 3rd gen IROC with the TPI 350. I think it's just barely over 300 HP. Never dynoed it. The front end needs to be rebuilt and the tranny is hurting.
    A freind has a 2nd gen BB camaro. He's flirting with 500hp easy. Oooo is it sweet! It's one of those with a 4" cow induction hood and when it lopes, the car bumps up and down about 1/2". Bright azz yellow!

<font color=blue>Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

10. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I have a 1973 that I'm slowly rebuilding.

http://coloradok5.com/gallery/MReetz-Colorado/aae

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated&lt;P ID="edit"&gt;&lt;FONT class="small"&gt;&lt;EM&gt;Edited by Mreetz on 03/01/02 11:07 AM.&lt;/EM&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/P&gt;

11. kool

kool Registered Member

I've got a 68' camaro with the original 327 and all the bolt-on parts you can get. Got rid of the powerglide for a turbo 350 and replaced the 10bolt with 2.66 gears for posi with 3.42. It's a daily driver that's why I didn't go with lower gears.Just got my 350 back from the machine shop, so time to put together. I've got a engine dyno program that's really detailed, it figured just under 400hp. But who knows in the real world?

12. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Sweet ride. My wife has a 1997 V6! Does that count? She thinks it's fast enough for her. Not too bad for a preschool teacher and a mommy. All the other ones drive minivans and suvs.
    My brother has a 68 Camaro in the barn that he'll probably never rebuild.
    Me personally, I have a 66 Chevelle with a 396. Is that close enough? Check ou the pics below if you like. Yes it was a 6 cyclinder car when I bought it.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chvyhs>WebShot Pics</a>
    It's a wheelbase thing, you wouldn't understand.

13. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I've got a 67 Firebird. It had a blown (as in it threw a rod) chevy 350 and a TH350 in it when I got it for $800. Now it has a Pontiac 400 with #62 heads and a crane cam version of a stock 067 cam. Bored .030 over. The tranny is a 4-speed now, too.

It's all stock parts except for the aluminum intake, but I've already destroyed one 10-bolt with it. I managed to twist one of the axle tubes where it goes into the center section.

It's not my fastest vehicle, I didn't try to build it to go fast, but it definately gets the most looks when I cruise with it.

<font color=red>When in doubt, empty the magazine. </font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/calcide>http://www.geocities.com/calcide</a>
    1983 K5 Blazer Silverado, 6.2L Diesel

14. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hi

I have a 69 Camaro Z/28 .Right now it has a 502 BBC in it and I might swap the engine for one of my friends 427 engines ...it is radical. I have a TH-400 full manual in it with a 3500 stall with a hurst quartersitck shiftin' it. I have a completly rebuilt 12-bolt rear with a posi and 4.11 gears. It has a completly restored interior new paint job full Auto Meter instrumentation in it. It has Centerline Auto Drag rims with McCreary drag D.O.T. tires. I used to have a Muncie m-22 rockcrusher in it and that was an awesome 4-speed tranny.
    I t has fiber-glass Harwood lift-off hood and rear deck lid and front fenders. Real head spinner. (GOD I love the car)

Thanks
    Mike

15. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Here is a picture of mine next to my Blazer. I just bought a set of 15x10 centerline autodrags for it. I am putting my 383 in soon I hope.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/photo/30169479/30169653rEhiqzvvtm>Clicky for Camaro picture</a>

Click on my gallery pics and you will see the top end I am putting on the engine. It has a 5 speed now but I am searching for a 6 speed.

John

16. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

My daily driver is a red 1992 RS Camaro
    305-TBI/5 Speed Manual- 3.08 geared rear
    1.6 Roller Rockers / Open Air K&amp;N Filter / TBI and injector Spacers / ADS Super Chip &amp; custom burned Off-Road Only chip / Headers - 3" Cat'Back - Flow Master - Adjustable Coni shocks &amp; struts / 16" factory wheels with Kumho tires.

It's only pushing aprox 290Hp, but I still say that's respectable for a measly 'ol 305 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif especialy with that darn TBI unit ....

Thomas.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'VE GOT A 73 LT CAMARO. IT WAS REAL NICE BEFOR IT GOT STOLDEN IN 98. I RECOVERED IT IN 2000. IT'S MISSING QUITE A FEW PARTS NOW. IT BRINGS TEARS TO MY EYES TO SEE WHAT THE THIEVES DID TO IT. I'VE GOT IT IN STORAGE. I'M TRYING TO SELL IT NOW. IT'D MAKE A GREAT PRODJECT CAR FOR SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER. I JUST DON'T HAVE THE HEART TO BUILD IT AGAIN. I'M NOW DOING A 76 BLAZER K/5. Email me at Z3PR@NETSCAPE.NET for pic's and information. Camaro is stored in Omaha, Ne.

18. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Let's see between Donna and I we have had 6 of them in the past.
    73 Z28
    78 Z28 (parts car, got drilled in the passenger side
    87 IROC
    84 6 cyl but it had t-tops and was a nice driver
    75 (parts car, was going to build untill I pulled the front clip and found to much rust)

Do you think we like Camaros? Donna wants another one but a 69 this time. Someday maybe.

19. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

The 60's Camaros were the best. I had a 68' SS 396. It had a .030 over 396 that was the original motor, front disc brakes, 4-speed, and 12-bolt 3.73 posi all factory. I had to sell it to buy a new house when I moved out of Sacramento. Still brings a tear to my eye.

20. ibrakeformud

ibrakeformud 1/2 ton status

i just got a 68 maro in peices but i got it for 900 bucks im it came with a bushing kit for the whole car new gas tank new rear panel and perfect intior, a turbo 400 that was set up to drag with it was built for a 9 sec car mine wont see that unless i hit the nos but im puting in a 454 bored .60 over so it should be fun